Re wiring guidance !

Hi,

Clover old bean ..... don't you just love it here ?

You'll be back have no fear.

Better than the pub ... at times.

P

Sponsored Links
FWL_Engineer said:
Ban, I think you may have misinterpreted my comment. Insurance companies, local authorities, many companies and individuals will only accept NICEIC Test Certs, I agree this is wrong.
Sorry - you're right - I didn't realise you were talking about that aspect. Insurance companies have long taken a direct interest in electrical regulations, and in the early days they often had their own, and a number of companies opposed, and refused to accept the IEE regulations, so I suppose it should come as no surprise that even today they impose additional strictures.

With Part P and the Competent Person designation for certain organisations to compete with the NICEIC, the situation will become more clouded and the non-sparks more confused over who can and who should not be testing!!
Ironically, if Part P results in official recognition of a number of more than one accreditation scheme then I guess the insurers will have to stop mandating NICEIC.

FWL_Engineer said:
ban-all-sheds said:
Why do you say that only NICEIC et al members may carry out PIs?

Ban, I think you may have misinterpreted my comment. Insurance companies, local authorities, many companies and individuals will only accept NICEIC Test Certs, I agree this is wrong.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with a competent and qualified Electrician or Engineer from undertaking a Periodic, as per BS7671:2002, and using the IEE form for the record keeping.

The reason I stated that Pete or most of the others shouldn't be doing it was because I was specifically refering to NICEIC testers, and hence certs.
An interesting thing I've just discovered - PDF versions of the pukka red NICEIC certs can be downloaded from their website, and anybody with a full version of Acrobat (i.e. not just the reader) can remove the "specimen" overprinting, type in a serial number, and lo, they have what are probably very convincing NICEIC certificates. Certainly good enough to fool anybody not familiar with real ones, and possibly indistinguishable if you were to get the format of the serial number correct...

Sponsored Links
But before I do, I must point out for legal reasons that Ban is not condoning the practices which he flippantly describes above.......!!

:LOL:

But it is a scary thought of what can happen........Next episode of Tradesmen From Hell to follow.....

I would suggest that someone download one, make the changes, then email it to the NICEIC, they have their faults, but this is not something they would let slide..it'll cost them money :D

Funny thing about the NIC.....Sent them an email in Febuary about something technical (checkin' me out, bein technical)....any-hoos

Got a written letter last Thursday in reply to my question.......how fast is that........what do we pay them for.....

Well, least they're quicker than NHS... Granny got a letter saying they can do her op next week.......She's been dust since 1996....

securespark said:
But before I do, I must point out for legal reasons that Ban is not condoning the practices which he flippantly describes above.......!!

:LOL:
Damn right..

Another uncondoned idea has just occurred to me - not using the certs to operate as Bucky Sparks, but for post-Part-P DIYers to create deniability..

"Me? Do That? No, I didn't do that, I used a proper electrician, I met him down the pub - he said he'd do it cheap for cash in hand, no VAT. Look, here's the certificate he gave me."

"What do you mean it's fake?"

Any judge or copper will tell you that ignorance is no defence, but I take your drift, Ban.

How is Joe Public going to know the difference?

NICEIC" No Need For That Kind Of "Tone" Here Mr?

hahahaahahaha LMAO

yeah, i'm probably one of those dodgy sparks, but i do things honestly and properly, and i do a good job.

I have noticed though that enginners on big companies just wanna get home so rush things. In my few years as a sparks i've seen loads of rogues, anyway, a little off subject...

I saw a dumper truck get buried on a bulding site in devizes wiltshire cause they wanted to ditch it!! :eek:

securespark said:
Any judge or copper will tell you that ignorance is no defence, but I take your drift, Ban.
Oh I'm not talking about ignorance - I'm talking about someone DIY-ing and preparing for the eventuality that they would want to deny that they had DIY-ed by filling in a certificate with bogus details on it. Sort of a double-cowboy cert. A fake fake.

I sometimes worry about how devious I can be...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back