Two electricians telling me different things, confused and a bit concerned

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all

Money has been tight for some time and the house not properly maintained as a result (my partner has been too sick to work)
However i have had a payrise and got a lot done in the last 3 years, lintels under windows, new fascia and guttering, new bathroom etc.

Next on the list was replacing the old wylex board with a proper consumer unit.

I got an electrician in that i found on google and he took one look and said we will need a complete rewire, he said its the original wiring (house built in 1977). He said the insulation on pvc wiring lasts 25-40 years and its a fire hazard and needs immediate action

The visible wiring (grey, flattened pvc) looks ok to me with no visible damage so i was a bit surprised and asked the electrician from the company i work at to take a look. He is qualified but not able to self notify apparently (not exactly sure what that means)

He said the pvc looks fine, that it is 'old colours' but looks fine, he said that some of the wiring might need replacing but he would expect the majority of it or all of it to be ok. He said pvc doesn't really corrode unless in harsh conditions.

He did say that we should get a consumer unit and 'rcd protection' but said we should just get a condition report done and take it from there and that he would be surprised if we need a complete rewire. He did suggest i get more complete 'electrical bonding' however.

So i have two electricians telling me complete opposites?

Is it really possible for wiring so old to be ok? or is the first electrician correct that i just need to replace it all?

Finding the 7.5k needed to rewire completely would be very tough (i was quoted by the first electrician 7.5k to rewire a 3 bed semi) but the first electrician has scared me a bit.

Finally if i got a condition report and they find problems, they wont stop me using the house electrics will they?
Thanks and sorry for huge post.

Sponsored Links
Next on the list was replacing the old wylex board with a proper consumer unit.
Ok. People will say you should but if it is all working as it should then...

I got an electrician in that i found on google and he took one look and said we will need a complete rewire, he said its the original wiring (house built in 1977). He said the insulation on pvc wiring lasts 25-40 years and its a fire hazard and needs immediate action
Get another electrician.

The visible wiring (grey, flattened pvc) looks ok to me with no visible damage so i was a bit surprised and asked the electrician from the company i work at to take a look. He is qualified but not able to self notify apparently (not exactly sure what that means)
It just means being allowed to inform the Local Authority (which the law demands for a 'replacement consumer unit) himself very cheaply.
As this is the case you could do it and pay the LA a hefty fee.

He said the pvc looks fine, that it is 'old colours' but looks fine, he said that some of the wiring might need replacing but he would expect the majority of it or all of it to be ok. He said pvc doesn't really corrode unless in harsh conditions.
Agreed.

He did say that we should get a consumer unit and 'rcd protection' but said we should just get a condition report done and take it from there and that he would be surprised if we need a complete rewire. He did suggest i get more complete 'electrical bonding' however.
Ok.

So i have two electricians telling me complete opposites?
Which one would get the most money if you did as advised.

Is it really possible for wiring so old to be ok? or is the first electrician correct that i just need to replace it all?
Can't tell from the internet but it could be fine.
How extensive was the first electrician's investigation or did he just know?

Finding the 7.5k needed to rewire completely would be very tough (i was quoted by the first electrician 7.5k to rewire a 3 bed semi) but the first electrician has scared me a bit.
Fair enough.

Finally if i got a condition report and they find problems, they wont stop me using the house electrics will they?
No. It is your house.

Your board does require updating with RCD/RCBO protection SP and also AFDD (on sockets) to meet current Regs , RCD in particular if you use electrical equipment outdoors such as a hedge trimmer or lawn mower. It's probably safe in terms of over current protection though.
The house will only need rewiring if during an EICR report faults are found on it e.g. low insulation resistance ( google this to get an understanding).

PVC cable as old as yours doesn't tend to deteriorate unless it's been in contact with polystyrene and cross polymerisation occurs Or it's in direct sunlight when run outdoors.

I would get two more quotes did either complete and tests on any circuits?

Last edited:
AFDD’s are NOT required in the majority of domestic situations - so do not waste money on that

RCBO board with SPD is the way to go

A home built in the 1970’s isn’t likely to need a rewire ….

PS by al means get an EICR done but there is no necessity to act on the findings if you aren’t selling or renting out

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks so much guys
I do know there is polystyrene insulation above the kitchen plasterboard, since when we had a socket moved in the kitchen a long time back the electrician drilled a hole in the ceiling and i saw the polystyrene then (i have since had it plastered up). The electrician who moved the socket (a different one) didnt comment about the insulation and i didnt think much of it

I am guessing in the 70's they didnt know polystyrene was a risk?

I dont know how the first electrician would have known that there was polystyrene insulation though as he literally looked at the fuse box and told me 'rewire needed' he didnt test anything at all

I will get someone else in to check everything, i am guessing i will need someone to remove all the polystyrene insulation from the ceiling?

In the loft, the insulation is rockwool so i am not sure why they used polysterene above the kitchen or if its the same everywhere downstairs.

I dont know how the first electrician would have known that there was polystyrene insulation though as he literally looked at the fuse box and told me 'rewire needed' he didnt test anything at all
They didn't know.

They were a chancer quoting for things that were not needed in the hope you would fling £1000s in their direction.

.... He said the insulation on pvc wiring lasts 25-40 years and its a fire hazard and needs immediate action
I agree with most of what others have said. RCD protection would be desirable, but AFDD not necessary, and probably not SPD.

However, in relation to the statement I quote above, PVC cable lasts a lot longer than that. We don't yet know for certain, but quite probably 100 years or more. Hence, on the basis of that statement alone, I would conclude that the electrician who said it was probably a 'chancer' (trying to generate costly work) and therefore have nothing more to do with him.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks all, you have convinced me not to use the guy i initially found.
I will get someone to do a condition report and perhaps to rewire the kitchen since i KNOW there is polystyrene board touching the big grey pvc cabling in the kitchen ceiling (thanks to me having a good look when there was a big hole in my kitchen ceiling) so i know that needs sorting.

Hopefully it will be ok for the month or so it will take me to sort the funding

Thanks again for the help, really appreciate it.

Anybody saying a rewire is required without doing any testing needs to be shown the door

Don’t rush into anything is my advice
Yeh i will get someone in but not panic, i will ask for a condition report, and ask for advice on the cabling above the kitchen ceiling where i know the insulation is polystyrene. In an ideal world i will just need a consumer unit and minimal wiring work.

He really put the wind up me to be honest, especially as we have our granddaughter here so often.

Speaking generally, a house wired in 1977 should not need a complete rewire.

New consumer unit and upgrade of earth bonding conductors to gas and water is usually needed, and often any DIY additions may need no looking at.

Obviously no house is the same, but hope that sets your mind at rest.

Are you certain it is polystyrene and not vermiculite? Take a sample to someone who could verify it for you. A local builder may be able to help.
If there is insulation between your ground floor ceiling and your first floor floor boards, it may be easier, (certainly cheaper), to remove the insulation and allow the warm air from below to help heat the air above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back