Re wiring guidance !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We are considering the purchase of a 4 bed early 1970s house. The electrical systems are OK at present, consumer board replaced.

Can anyone comment on life expectancy of this system and when we may reasonably expect to have to rewire ?

Could we simply replace sockets, switches, fittings etc. to prolong life, as some are discoloured, dated ? Current wiring plastic coated and in apparently good condition.

Acknowledge that this is fairly subjective, but general comments would be aprreciated. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
It is recommended that domestic premises be rewired every 25 years, however this is not a hard and fast rule.

What I would suggest is paying for a contractor to come around and do a Periodic Inspection of the premises.

It could be the wiring is OK but the accessories are no good. You might be able to get away with replacing all of them and bringing the Earthing arrangements up to BS7671:2002.

However, whilst you may have PVC insulated cables, don't assume these are OK. The Older, and original PVC cables had stranded cores and stranded Earth's, so they are easier to identify against newer cables, but the PVC they used was nowhere near the standard used in the last 10 years or so. Modern Thermo-setting insulation, whilst not designed to do so, will be OK exposed to fluctuations in temperature, this normally occurs when it is incorrectly installed on the outside of a building, however the older stuff will be susceptible to these fluctuations and will crack when touched in cold weather. Over a period of time, this cracking CAN, but not necessarilly will, occur inside a building.

It is difficult to be accurate in an assessment without investigation, but as I stated originally, I would find a reputable contractor in your area, get them to complete a full periodic inspect and test and make recommendations.

I would suggest a medium sized company. The larger ones will simply send around a qualified tester who cares not what you spend and may recommend an unecessary rewire, the smaller ones may recommend a rewirte as a way of generating revenue, but the medium sized ones, with about 20 to 30 sparks, will likely (not guaranteed) be more upfront about the situation, and you may even be able to get a contracts manager to visit.

The above is certainly not a hard and fast rule, ask in the local area for a contractor that does work for others in the area...recommendation is the best way to get work, and you will almost certainly get a better job.

Many thanks for your comprehensive and helpful reply.

Propose to follow your advice. We will need to have a similar inspection of heating system - I expect it is time for a complete re-wire and re plumb as we wouldn't want to do half the job now and half again in 10 yrs or so...

Would like to avoid being penny rich but pound foolish !!

kind regards Antony

Sponsored Links
FWL_Engineer said:
I would suggest a medium sized company. The larger ones will simply send around a qualified tester who cares not what you spend and may recommend an unecessary rewire, the smaller ones may recommend a rewirte as a way of generating revenue,

How Dare You Suggest That The "Smaller Ones" (The Self Employed) "May Recommend a Rewire As a Way To Generate Revenue"

We Are Not All In The "Trade" To Make a "Killing" On One Or Two Jobs,

As a "Professional" I Would Expect You To Choose Your Words More Carefully ?

paulh53 said:
How Dare You Suggest That The "Smaller Ones" (The Self Employed) "May Recommend a Rewire As a Way To Generate Revenue"

We Are Not All In The "Trade" To Make a "Killing" On One Or Two Jobs,

As a "Professional" I Would Expect You To Choose Your Words More Carefully ?

Agreed, not everyone is, however many ARE and it is easier to be assured of satisfaction from a medium sized compnay..but not always as I stated.

If you actually read all my post instead of posting in haste, I stated at the end that he should ask around for someone/contractor in the local area that people have experience of as recommendation is the best way to find any tradesman.

If you are not a bogus trader, crook or cowboy, why get upset by the comment, it was not directed at you.

Breezer and Ban and a few others have not jumped down my throat for the comment. I agree it may seem unfair, but average Joe in the street does not know a good or bad trader because he says so.

Incidently, are you an NICEIC registered Company, or a member of the ECA? NO, then if you are not an NICEIC registered company you shouldn't being doing test and inspects of the type I suggested, and the same is true for 99.9% of self-employed sparks..not yours or their fault, but the narrow mindedness of the NICEIC.

FWL_Engineer said:
Breezer and Ban and a few others have not jumped down my throat for the comment. ..
Not sure I deserve the status implied. In fact I'm sure I don't...

Incidently, are you an NICEIC registered Company, or a member of the ECA? NO, then if you are not an NICEIC registered company you shouldn't being doing test and inspects of the type I suggested, and the same is true for 99.9% of self-employed sparks..not yours or their fault, but the narrow mindedness of the NICEIC.
Sitting here looking at a blank PIR - can't see anything on it about needing to be a member of NICEIC or ECA. In fact, it doesn't even have a declaration on it like the Installation Certificates do about "I being the person blah blah blah having exercised reasonable skill and care blah blah blah hereby certify that the said work for which I have been responsible is to the best of my knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671.."

Until Part P changes it, I'm sure that there are loads of qualified electricians who could legitimately carry out test & inspection. Not to say they couldn't be negligent, of course, or not exercise "reasonable skill and care", but then the same goes for members of NICEIC.

Why do you say that only NICEIC et al members may carry out PIs?

are you trying to (earth) bond a relationship, be carefull as some one may blow a fuse, in which case they want to (earth) steak out these forums. core, then won't you be be upset. but you should be carefull not to upset the Mike Chan Brothers.

ban-all-sheds said:
Why do you say that only NICEIC et al members may carry out PIs?

Ban, I think you may have misinterpreted my comment. Insurance companies, local authorities, many companies and individuals will only accept NICEIC Test Certs, I agree this is wrong.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with a competent and qualified Electrician or Engineer from undertaking a Periodic, as per BS7671:2002, and using the IEE form for the record keeping.

The reason I stated that Pete or most of the others shouldn't be doing it was because I was specifically refering to NICEIC testers, and hence certs.

With Part P and the Competent Person designation for certain organisations to compete with the NICEIC, the situation will become more clouded and the non-sparks more confused over who can and who should not be testing!!

Now I bet that will spark a bit of a debate, so long as it isn't too electric :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back