Two electricians telling me different things, confused and a bit concerned

Where exactly in the regs does it say a domestic dwelling needs an AFDD?
There is no such regulatory requirement for normal domestic dwellings.

The original version of BS7671:2018 contained a general recommendation that (by implication all) final circuits be protected by AFDDs, but the list of 'examples' of situations in which this might be done included few, if any, applicable to normal domestic dwellings.

In Amd 2 of BS7671:2018, there is again a general recommendation for AFDD protection, but now only for sockets circuits. However there is now also a requirement for AFDDs, again only for sockets circuits, in four specific types of property, namely:

Higher Risk Residential Buildings (defined as residential buildings >18m high and/or >6 storeys, unless over-ridden by local regulations)​
Houses in Multiple Occupation​
Purpose-build student accommodation​
Care homes​
... none of which are normal residential properties.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Where exactly in the regs does it say a domestic dwelling needs an AFDD?

*Sorry didn't see John's post above before I posted*

To answer your question it doesn't

At this point in time it is a pure recommendation in a domestic dwelling supplying sockets. I can't help thinking it will become *Edited* mandatory at some point in the near future (just like RCDs being fitted) In realistic terms I feel I'd fit one if I was installing one in someone's home or at the very least sit down with a client and explain in non technical terms and give them the option. I think I'd rather have this than surge protection unless a home was served via a Pole.

( For the sake of £80 vs a normal Contactum RCBO think it's worth the investment)

What it does say though:

BS 7671:2018+A2:2022 Regulation 421.1.7 now requires arc fault detection devices (AFDDs) conforming to BS EN 62606 to be provided for single-phase AC circuits supplying socket-outlets with a rating not exceeding 32 A in the following installations:

● Higher Risk Residential Buildings (HRRB)

● Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO)

● Purpose-built student accommodation

● Care homes

Last edited:
I don’t understand why the phrase “should be” Is used rather than “is / are” used

Arc detection wasnt mentioned -i didnt even know it was an option until mentioned here.
The guy did come very highly recommended and came across as very competent. Perhaps he knew budget was a factor for me.

I am pretty sure you cant retrofit arc detection+rcbo so i will have to make do with rcbo + spd for the next few years.
Given we previously had a bakelite box with 5 fuses on it, its a big upgrade for us.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back