Rewire or not?

An EICR requires the inspector to do a lot of work, which is not required if the result is a re-wire.
Well in any EICR/PIR I have ever done, if I get to the point at any stage I halt the insp/test and and inform the customer if what I have discovered so far renders it so unsatisfactory that I have already concluded that a rewire is needed or a massive corrections regarding extense of works probably required and ask if they want me to carry on or end it and reduce my charges accordingly.

It would be absurd to carry on and complete the inspect and test to completion if it is so bad and it would be a waste of time and money to do so.

At the estimate stage (free of charge) I would take a decent cursory look around and advise my suspicions accordingly.

It would be futile to carry on the procedure to the end unless the customer insists.

Eric regarding "so with the papered wall the socket was in the corner, technically not permitted, " could you elaborate your meaning on this comment please? I`m a little lost, might be my error though as I am an old git these days ;)

To do the EICR first to confirm the consumer unit change is viable without major corrections is the only sane approach.

To change the consumer unit without an EICR and then find a serious defect such a lack of adequate earthing/bonding or borrowed N etc etc would be almost criminal if not actually criminal surely.

If ever I here some "Electrician" state that they changed a consumer unit before adequate test and inspection such as an EICR the say it additional extra works to keep the installtion live before leaving because of borrowed N or unsafe sitions then I think "You Pilchard! You are not a pro"
 
If wall lights have been added to an existing circuit and they have a functioning earth conductor, there must be one in the existing circuit.

I have seen lighting circuits installed in the late 60s, where the new-fangled earth conductor has been snipped off at every point.

Old habits die hard...
When i take the cover of any single gang switch i see 2 seperate grey shiethed pvc cables each wire has 1 red wire inside, and one goes to common other goes to the other switch terminal, definitely no earth
 
When the regulations became BS 7671 in 1992 electricians did not really look at regulations except in collage
1791536501359.jpeg
 
The Building Regulations 2010 approved document M page 22 said:
Switches, sockets, stopcocks and controls have their centre line between 450mm and 1200mm above floor level and a minimum of 300mm (measured horizontally) from an inside corner.
found here so socket needs to be 300 mm from the corner.

As to fitting a consumer unit then testing, I agree an electrician should make the owner aware of what happens if faults are found. But it is up to the owner as to if he wants to take the risk. In my case I had agreed I would rectify any faults found, I just wanted the consumer unit fitting, as the fuse box was insider the ceiling space and I did not have the dexterity to work in that space.
Well in any EICR/PIR I have ever done, if I get to the point at any stage I halt the insp/test and and inform the customer if what I have discovered so far renders it so unsatisfactory that I have already concluded that a rewire is needed or a massive corrections regarding extense of works probably required and ask if they want me to carry on or end it and reduce my charges accordingly.
Yes that makes sense, but one needs to do as one is told by ones boss, and if told to continue as need to know extent of the problem, then that's what you do.

It is down to why an EICR is being done. And it does not harm to say if a re-wire is found to be required, then stop. In the main one can get a feel with out doing an EICR as to general state of the wiring.
When i take the cover of any single gang switch i see 2 seperate grey shiethed pvc cables each wire has 1 red wire inside, and one goes to common other goes to the other switch terminal, definitely no earth
It does seem no earth, and to be frank I found a house where earth wires had been snipped, and spend best part of a day connecting them, only to find there was clearly a junction box in the loft space where I had no access.

But part of the inspectors tool kit is the loop impedance meter, so he can connect two leads and press a button and test if earthed or not, he does not need to trace cables. The earth may be from conduit or other metallic parts, which you can't see.

As to @BS3036 yes today we are made aware, during my apprenticeship the things we could easy get caught out with were taught, like size of a rear lamp on a vehicle, as all it needed was one pedantic policeman, but in the home, who would know if it didn't comply, same to some extent even now.
Eric regarding "so with the papered wall the socket was in the corner, technically not permitted, " could you elaborate your meaning on this comment please?
Clearly missed that one line in Part M, and it is so easy to do, and it says "
2.30 To assist people who have reduced reach, services and controls should comply with all of the following." I would have said more to do with not getting damaged by wheel chair users, at least for the height. Having seen the damage caused by the rear wheel of a self propelled wheel chair, yes want to keep sockets above centre of rear wheel.

What I have never understood, is why there is not a limit to kitchen work top size, I know my mother could not reach sockets on the wall as could not get wheel chair close enough.
 
Yes, but other rooms with same single gang switch have cable with a red and black wire with earth
That is exactly why an inspection and report is necessary. Built in 1969, the original wiring still may be serviceable, but there will have been all sorts of alterations and additions in the ensuing decades. For many years, DIY of electrical installations was what your dad and grandfather did in their spare time.
So a test is essential....for instance, in your example
"rooms with same single gang switch have cable with a red and black wire with earth"
there may be an earth wire in that switch, but is it actually connected to earth? Or was that cable put in because twin and earth was what was at the DIY shop.
 
Thanks, for the explanation, you're right, its about time for a visit by an electrician
I've 2 appointments for next week off 2 different firms, the intention is for a general quick discussion about my system followed by highly possble eicr
 
So wired in singles
Could it be single and earth with the earth chopped off?

A usual pointer to lighting circuits without earth are that the fixing lugs on the boxes are nylon, so that the screws are isolated from the metal box.

Also, the single and earth cable is a bit fatter than the single.

A picture would be helpful for a definitive answer.

I'm just surprised a house built 3 years after the introduction of the 14th Edition (where an earth connection was mandated at every lighting point, unlike the previous edition) wasn't wired as it should have been.
 
If the switch drops are in metal conduit a rewire in a bungalow sould be easey if they got good access to the loft. At worst & they need to put some metal boxes in the walls for switches, you can always get some finger plate's to cover any mess untill you decorat next time. £7-00 for a pack of 4.
 
Just another quick question please.

If I get an electrician in to carry out an EICR, and we discover several issues need fixing, do we have to have the same electrician to fix the issues, or can we choose another electrician and just show them the certificate and get them to do whatever is required.

Or do other electricians shy away from doing work based on an EICR done by another electrician?

Cheers
 
I suspect that this is most useful if the EICR one knows that he won't be getting the fixing work, so no need to make stuff up. Though of course it may just create bad feeling.
 

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Back
Top