Lifespan of sockets etc.

I once worked with a Scotsman who wanted me to look at his washing machine which had gone wrong. He said he couldn't understand why as it was only 15 years old !
I have a washing machine, a dishwasher and a tumble drier which are all at least that old.

Dare I ask what make they are ? Have you ever repaired them ?

Sponsored Links
My washing machine is 14 and I'm disappointed it has broken down twice!!

Should I be?

Sponsored Links
Ja, I just meant the simple button test via the rcd. It's exercise and a test, the bits in them suffer ageing and need a work out- most makes suggest quarterly user test.

If you want to dabble, sell your separates and find a decent (calibrated) MF unit on fleabay.

I guessed you meant that, but I figure a test triggered at a socket is a better.

However I don't see that selling my separates and getting some second hand calibrated unit is a good idea. I am not selling my multimeter period, it would be more sensible to get that calibrated again but even that is not worth it. As a DIY'er I so rarely use the insulation resistance tester it is not worth it as even in it's uncalibrated state it will tell me what I need to know.

It is not like I am doing EICR's for a living, they are for me to determine if things are basically safe and troubleshoot problems. Put another way for example if the insulation resistance tester showed any signs of an issue it would be fixed. There is a wide margin between what a good clean installation should give and what is acceptable in a deteriorated installation. You can always do a check on a coil of known good cable to make sure it is giving reasonable results.

For DIY my setup is way beyond the norm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back