Lifestyle 2 port motorised valve sticking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

First time posting and a complete novice on anything to do with central heating.

I have a lifestyle 2 port motorised valve that keeps sticking (meaning my central heating pump keeps running all the time), if I tap it, it usually goes off, it has been happening on and off for a year or more. I have squirted wd40 in a couple of times and that works for a while.

What is my best solution please, I have done a search of the forum and see that I could just change the head/motor (assuming I can get one)

I could change the whole unit but no idea how to go about it, I assume that means a complete drain down?

Can I even buy the same valve still, it is about 14 years old

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Depending on the model there may be a black button to press at the base of the head which will enable the head to be removed.

If so then see if the shaft is stiff. You should be able to turn it with your fingers.

You can lubricate the shaft with WD40 or any silicone based oil but NOT with mineral oils.

Tony

Depending on the model there may be a black button to press at the base of the head which will enable the head to be removed.

If so then see if the shaft is stiff. You should be able to turn it with your fingers.

You can lubricate the shaft with WD40 or any silicone based oil but NOT with mineral oils.

Tony

I assume when talking about the head we mean the motor?

If so there isnt a button to press, the motor is held in place with 2 screws, is it worth me removing the motor that way and lubricating the shaft? as said I am a complete novice.

Thanks for reply

You probably have an older version of these valves and the head is not removable.
You can however remove the plastic cover off the actuator and expose the mechanism including the microswitch.(isolate before opening) These switches are prone to sticking and can be removed and either replaced or better still cleaned (use contact cleaner or WD 40 if thats all you have) and all being well with the shaft your valve will work again.

Sponsored Links
The micro-switches contacts on my defunct ACL Lifestyle valve were fully enclosed, so there was no way they could be cleaned.

It is probably time for a new valve. :(

You probably have an older version of these valves and the head is not removable.
You can however remove the plastic cover off the actuator and expose the mechanism including the microswitch.(isolate before opening) These switches are prone to sticking and can be removed and either replaced or better still cleaned (use contact cleaner or WD 40 if thats all you have) and all being well with the shaft your valve will work again.

Have had the cover off, it doesnt seem to expose very much to be honest, but I will squirt some wd40 in (again), the valve does work but just sticks every now and again.

If i have to replace the valve I assume I would have to drain the system ? or would it make sense to get someone in to do it?

I have found a replacement for £37, dont know if the company is reputable though

http://www.heatingcontrolsonline.co.uk/acl-drayton-invensys-za56792-zone-valve-p-109.html

That valve will do the job nicely. Drain down required though although a por would try a system bung to save time.
With respect to Mr Hailsham I have lost count of the many valves of this type that I have repaired in the way I described.

With respect to Mr Hailsham I have lost count of the many valves of this type that I have repaired in the way I described.
But how do you clean the contacts when they are sealed inside the case of the micro-switch?

Sorry for the delayed reply:- I use an aerosol solvent contact cleaner and it works for me. The switches are not hermetically sealed and the solvent gets in and evaporates and cleans the switch internals. I use the same stuff to clean Alpha dhw switches that suffer the same fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back