Lift and Lock issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a locksmith replace my door gearbox as it was broken(inc strip for 3 point lock)

Previously I had to life the handle, let it got and lock the door with the key.

Now, I have to lift the handle all the way up, push it up really hard and only then the key turns and locks the door. If I let the door handle down, the key only turns half way and doesnt lock the door. He told my wife "its for additional security" (I was not there for this).

This sounds to me like load of....., but I wanted to check if you guys think I am wrong / right, before messaging him.

Sponsored Links
That sounds exactly the same as my modern locking system on both composite and uPVC doors. I need to have the handle very firmly in the fully up position in order to lock the door. Perfectly normal I would say.

Perhaps your previous method of lift, let go, lock only worked because the old mechanism was faulty?

Well that is exactly it, but my front door is also fairly new and I dont have to keep the handle firmly up to lock it. My wife actually struggles and she needs to put a lot of force to keep it up, she is tiny little thing.

Sounds like it's out of adjustment, you should be able to let go of the handle once lifted and then turn the key, if the key won't click over to lock then the handle isn't right up, this is proven out by you forcing the handle up hard before the key clicks to lock, they might have been a locksmith but they weren't a service engineer otherwise a couple of turns with an allen key would have had the door locking in minutes

Sponsored Links
Now, I have to lift the handle all the way up, push it up really hard and only then the key turns and locks the door. If I let the door handle down, the key only turns half way and doesnt lock the door. He told my wife "its for additional security" (I was not there for this).

My locks are of the same style. I can fully lock them with handle up, or with it released, but I can only lock them released, if I let them down very gently. Just release them, and they will spring too far, and partially unlatch themselves, then the key can only be turned half a turn. Might that be what you are seeing?

Agree with Crank here , you shouldn't need to keep hold of the handle in the ' up 'position '. Sounds very much like.its just slightly out of adjustment. Try and lock it with the door sash actually open. Do you still need to hold the handle up?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back