Liftable parquet flooring....is it possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
House refurbishment...have 1970s basket weave (I think it is called...five finger blocks) parquet floor in half hallway...

Also had it in a utility room and cloakroom leading off this part of hallway - have lifted this - (blocks missing, gaps and looked a bit rough round the loo :eek:) - but also because a few trademen have been negative about reduced underfloor access in an area containing boiler, mains water inlet, gas inlet (even though it is on a suspended floor) ...

Plan was to refurbish blocks and re-lay in rest of hallway...now thinking is there a way of laying it onto a thin board so it can be lifted for access underneath if required (like non glued laminate)?

Anyone done anything similar?

Sponsored Links
If you can stand the long and cumbersome work to clean off all the little fingers (because that'll happen when you try to lift this type of floor) to reduce the old bitumen on them.

Have already lifted it and yep a bit of a mess -
But some lifted off a bitumen(?) -black anyway - backing sheet thing neatly and I only need about half of it (need 2 sq M from area 4 sq M) - planning on using the easiest/cleanest ones first....and hopefully keeping the scraping to a minimum ....
There is more left on the floorboards ...but will need to cover them with something to raise level anyway....

Anyway -do you think I could lay them onto thin hardboard - basically like a homemade laminate but secured at the edges - so if I need to get under them in the future it will be easier?

Sponsored Links
Just out of curiousity, the black stuff (bitumen) does it smell? Mine smells and I cant figure out why.

Cheers

It smells a bit of what I thought is bitumen ..a kind of oily chemically smell - bit tricky cos it also smell a bit damp cloakroom sink has been leaking a bit (and worse from around the loo!) ..not an expert at all -someone else probably knows better!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back