Lifting a Beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will soon be placing a 6 metre beam accross the back wall of my daughters house at first floor level. The beam specified weighs 500kg. It took 7 of us to move it to one side one end at a time and that was a struggle! I need to get it to the back of the house and then lift it into place. The gap at the side is 2.1 metres so that eliminates a hiab or JCB. I can probably get it to the back with many men but are there any thoughts on lifting it into place please?
Regards
UKKiwi

Sponsored Links
If the ground is at all level, I would suggest using rollers and a piece of rope to drag/steer.

Myself and a neighbour moved a 300 kg beam 20 m over ground with both a slope and a rise in it. Hard work, took less than 10 minutes inc pauses.

You could reduce the effort by using a block and tackle to pull, as long as you have a stout anchor point.

Using that method, i reckon you'd get away with a couple of people but more time re-attaching chain/rope etc. This risks damaging the ground however, so depends what the surface is.

HSS do a material lifter:
http://www.hss.com/g/72005/454kg-Lift-stacker-Manual-Sl10.html
but at 450kg SWL you'd need 2 to lift the RSJ into place.

As an addition to Mointainwalker's suggestion you can make up your own 1 or 2 pulley block & tackle with a decent length of rope and 1 or 2 pulleys. Snatch blocks you can buy from somewhere like Machine Mart or you could hire from somewhere like HSS, or even a Tirfor winch.

You can even hire small flatbed trolleys that will take 1/2 ton. The problem then is getting it on the trolley.

Sponsored Links
This is one of those spend lots of money or get creative type problems.
As mentioned, chains, blocks, pulleys can be your friend here, scaffold poles cut down for rollers.
Just think, what would the A-Team have done?

In any case, steel toes and hard hats all round :!:

The beam specified weighs 500kg.UKKiwi

Whaaaaat! That would be a 500x200 beam. What you building, the tallest skyscraper in the village?

Beam lifters - if you have a level surface to work off of.

The weight of the beam was my first reaction too Jeds.

We are talking 83kg's p/m here. :eek:

Why so big, I always ask this question of engineers. I wonder if they don’t do the calculation and then multiply it by x to be sure! The beam is 203 x 203 x 86 and is 6.2 metres long making it 533 kg. It is replacing the entire rear wall at ground level and therefore supporting the above wall, roof and another beam at right angles which supports the rear upstairs joists and another supporting wall that divides the upstairs rear rooms and also supports the roof. I have just finished putting the second beam into place.

You have all offered some excellent suggestions. I will roll it around (thanks Mointainwalker) and put it at the base of the wall before using the acro props otherwise I will have issues getting it behind them. I like the idea of the HSS material lifter (thanks RedHerring) but would have difficulty trusting the surface I think. I agree with Deluks opening statement and think that based on my budget it will have to be the creative part. A friend has a block and tackle so the next thing I guess is creating something strong enough to lift it from. Any suggestions there would be welcome.

Thanks to you all
UKKiwi

Ah, I see. The engineer has designed it as one beam. (actually a column section) I wonder why he's done that? Will 203 cover the whole of the thickness of the wall - assuming it is a one brick wall at about 230 thick plus render/plaster. The usual design in these situations is two beams which you bolt together in situ. Much easier on the builder.

Hi Jed
I asked the engineer about the width bearing in mind a cavity wall and he was fine with the overhang. He is a respected engineer so who an I to argue :!: Just need to find a way to get it in :confused:

Cheers
UKKiwi

Not questioning that the beam will do the job. But what a bugger to install. Two beams bolted in situ is defo the usual method and a piece of cake to fit. I was wondering why go that way - was there a particular reason?

I find this difficult to swallow.

In my opinion the S.E needs sacking.

As Jeds has stated, it would make more practical sense to have two separate beams that would ultimately be bolted together.

I would not use the words "piece of cake to fit", more along the lines of "less difficult".:cool:

The only reason I think he has used this is to make them less intrusive maybe. I did speak with him today and he said that he often works with a couple of guys who supply and fit these beams and they step it up each end in a frame they have made until it reaches height. I am not too phased and will take on the challenge :mad: :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back