Lifting a recently fitted carpet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a carpet fitted but due to it's particular weave etc I'm having difficulty making a decent job of decorating the new skirting boards. Yes, I know :oops: , I had fully intended to get that done before the carpet went down but one thing led to another.........

Question is, do I have to lift the carpet in a certain way to avoid damaging it when pulling it off the gripper rods and will it definitely need the fitter to come back and restretch/relay it, or can I just plonk it back down when the paint's dried?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You see, the carpet is STRETCHED onto those tack strips nailed to the floor. So, if you pull it off the tack strips, it's no longer in tension and you're likely to get ripples in it from the looseness.

If you can, go out and buy some 2 inch wide ordinary masking tape and press that right onto the carpet pile right beside those skirting boards. In fact, depending on the carpet, you might even be able to press the masking tape down onto the carpet and tuck it under the skirting board as well.

That way, you can paint the skirting board without messing up the carpet.

Just pull the masking tape off when done.

Hi Nestor.
If you can, go out and buy some 2 inch wide ordinary masking tape and press that right onto the carpet pile right beside those skirting boards. In fact, depending on the carpet, you might even be able to press the masking tape down onto the carpet and tuck it under the skirting board as well.

That way, you can paint the skirting board without messing up the carpet
Yeah, this was my initial idea but the carpet is up so close to the skirting (actually I guess this means it was fitted really well), that when I push the masking tape down it ends up touching the skirting and will mess up any paint. The short bobbly weave of this carpet means that decorating errors on the skirting aren't covered up and look awful. The underlay is a thick slab type underlay designed to reduce footfall noise and it's pretty tight up against the skirting.

Thanks again.

Can you not press the skirting side edge of the masking tape down with a wide putty knife, do your painting, allow that paint to dry completely, and then pull off the tape?

Perhaps I'm not understanding the issue that's causing the problem.

If there's concern over the tape tearing when pushed down with a putty knife, then apply a strip of duct tape over the masking tape. That will give you the strength to push that edge down tight, but will still allow you to pull everything off easily.

Sponsored Links
Nestor

Difficult to explain this really, but no. It needed something a bit more rigid to get the carpet pushed back - just couldn't get masking tape down there well enough.

Anyway, I just went to Q&B and bought some skirting protectors made by stanley. They're plastic strips which you can push down under the skirting and they keep the carpet back a little. Anyway I'm about to paint and I think it's going to work a treat. They are a bit of a rip off but I can use them again loads of times.

Thanks for your help.

JD

How about this stuff..

Stik'n Guard™ Carpet Protector
Planning a spot of painting, or getting the builders in?

Disposable Stik‘n Guard can be laid on your carpets, and then left in situ until the job is complete - it’s even safe on stairs.

As the film is backed with a low-tack adhesive that lightly sticks to the floor (without leaving any marks), it won’t slip and slide around, unlike plastic dustsheets.

A wise buy, especially if you consider the cost of a new carpet.

Polyethylene.

60cm x 10m roll.

Ref 1480 From

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/product.aspx/!1480

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back