Lifting gear for wheelchair user

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have MS and use a wheelchair full-time.
I am looking for something to help me lift objects that are not very heavy, the frame of my lightweight wheelchair, which is under 10kg, and the front end of a trike, I don't know the weight of it, but it has an electric battery and motor so is heavier than 10kg.

Neither one needs to be lifted very high, I want to lift the trike's front wheel into a bike trainer, so about 15 inches or 35cm. The wheelchair frame I want to lift into a scooter basket that is quite high sided, so about a metre total.

I have the upper body strength to lift these objects but when I do so it sets off painful and unpleasant symptoms.

I have looked online at portable floor hoists. They look very similar to patient hoists, and would probably do the job, but are designed to be used from standing and are overkill since they are designed to up to 1, 2 or 3 tons.

I've looked at car boot hoists for scooters, but they are all designed to be fitted in the cars boot. I can't find a portable one.

All of the above options are pretty expensive.

I was hoping there would be a small, easily movable (on castors), not too expensive machine I could use. Does anyone have any suggestions

Sponsored Links
I found this
http://www.1stchoicemobility.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=2262#
a portable scooter hoist for loading scooters into cars, it is powered by plugging it in to the scooter's XLR power connector (the place where the battery charger normally goes) This looks like it would work when I want to load things into the scooter basket, but I don't see how I can use it for lifting the trike unless there is a way to power it from the mains

So now my question is: is there such a thing, a unit that would allow me to power something with a XLR (male) connector)?

I think I could use a 3-pin xlr extension cable to plug the hoist into the mobility scooter and power it that way

Sponsored Links
Or would I be better off getting a wire rope hoist for a lot less money and attaching to the wall or ceiling somehow?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back