Lifting shed base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just noticed the brick supporting the wooden shed base has broken which resulted in the base being lowered.

I don't have a car jack that would fit this low. I was wondering if there any useful tips on how to lift the base whilst putting in support underneath.

There is concrete base.

Is there something out there which I could use as a small lifting tool? It could be via drill or adjustable with wretch etc?

I have very limited space to do this so will need to be something small and efficient.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,
If you really haven't enough room to get a lever in, you could consider hiring/borrowing a toe-jack, or even a lifting air-bag?

...theoretically a 'Z' bracket could be made up to fit onto a car jack and used sideways?

A forged spade with a piece of timber as a fulcrum, a long pry bar with a piece of timber as a fulcrum, hell, a long piece 3 x 2 CLS with another piece of timber as a fulcrum. I've used all three over the years

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for the replies.

The space I have to do this is very limited, probably about 1.5 feet to neighbours outbuilding! It's hard enough squeezing myself into that space in the first place!

I think the z bracket may be the best choice with a car jack (will need to borrow one as just sold my car!).

I would have gone for the long bar but due to the limited space....

There's a spare RSJ beam in back garden, I may use that as support rather than another brick.

Is there anything out there that can act as metal legs where I can adjust and push the base back up? (think kitchen cabinet legs) And possibly leave it there permanently?

I should have based the 12x9 shed with plenty of room around the sides for easy maintenance!

In the meantime, keep the good ideas coming.

Thanks

Hi,
If you really haven't enough room to get a lever in, you could consider hiring/borrowing a toe-jack, or even a lifting air-bag?

...theoretically a 'Z' bracket could be made up to fit onto a car jack and used sideways?

If you can advise where I can get a heavy duty one that would be able to handle heavy lifting from please? I've had a look and not sure if any are up to the job.

I would have gone for the long bar but due to the limited space....
if you have a pry bar with a bent or hooked end...

Is there anything out there that can act as metal legs where I can adjust and push the base back up? (think kitchen cabinet legs) And possibly leave it there permanently?
Most kitchen unit legs are plastic, not metal, and even the metal ones aren't that strong. A brick or a block would do better

BTW are you aware that old fashioned timber folding wedges can raise quite a weight?...

Hi,

I have just noticed the brick supporting the wooden shed base has broken which resulted in the base being lowered.

I don't have a car jack that would fit this low. I was wondering if there any useful tips on how to lift the base whilst putting in support underneath.

There is concrete base.

Is there something out there which I could use as a small lifting tool? It could be via drill or adjustable with wretch etc?

I have very limited space to do this so will need to be something small and efficient.

Thanks
You don’t need a low jack, just screw a timber against the edge low enough to tuck your jack under.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back