Packing under shed base to stop rot?.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, just ordered a 7ft x 13ft wooden shed to go next to my metal one (can't have too many sheds!).

Base wise at the moment I have 50mm high plastic grid down filled with 10mm gravel, good solid flat base with good drainage.

I was going to just build the shed base directly on top of that but thinking about it would it be best to lift it off the floor a bit, even 10mm to 20mm just to let air circulate underneath.

Whats best thing to use to pack under the base, plastic packers of some description?.

It will be used for storing suff mainly, my shed next door with concrete base will be reclaimed to use as my workshop again hopefully!.

I've see some adjustable joist supports from Wickes, would 20 of those do?.

Am I just overthinking things or would it be a genuine benifit lifting it off the floor, don't want to waste time and money if not..

download.jpeg.jpg

Sponsored Links
Mine has been on fence posts that were soaked in creosote for the last 30 years and is still solid

does the shed have a base ??
if so there is plenty off ventilation all you will need is separation between stone/earth/concrete and wood anything between 2 layers off felt on part slabs /bricks
just keep in mind to avoid the need for planning you need to keep it below 2.5m above natural ground level when near to the boundary

It has a floor with joists underneath.

The shed is 2.1m high but will bear in mind the 2.5m rule when setting it out!.

Will see what happens when it turns up, I'd like to lift it off the ground and have the ability to get it completely level.

Don't mind spending the money, just don't want to do the job twice hopefully.

Sponsored Links
2.1 is only seven foot [6ft10 1/2"]are you sure thats not internal height or is it a flat roof ??
they tend to be around 2.4m to keep within planning with a bit off wiggle room

Says 5'9" at eves and 6'11" at ridge.

I'm only 5'10" so tall enough luckily!.

ok fair enough just checking :D
also keep in mind long and thin tend to waste more space for the size as you have 13 foot off say 2ft to walk along so call it 26squ foot so 7x13 is91 so around 65
where as a say 8x10 will loose 20 central from 80 and leave 60
then if you have an 8x11you have slightly less volume at 88 as compared to 91 but 22 off gives you 66 compared to 65 off a long shed

clear as mudd ehh
what are you doing in the shed ??

Last edited:
I already have a 4 meter by 3 meter shed that was my workshop, has a lovely 4 meter worktop/ workbench down one side.

Over the years it's just been filled with family tut so I need to rescue it!.

I had to buy a 7ft x 13ft for second shed to be able to get down the side to paint fence/ build it etc. Measured up for an 8ft but just not enough room unfortunately.

It will be full of kids stuff and lawnmower etc, nothing special!.

ahh ok
but keep in mind the overlap between sheds
as in the lower shed will need a gutter to capture the water shed from the higher shed onto the lower shed roof to stop a double dose not so much dripping off but being aimed at the wall off the other shed

Thanks big-all I'll bear that in mind.

These don't look bad, support 700kg per m2 apparently.

21474.jpg

[Found them on Amazon - just the job @ my place

Last edited:
The adjustable feet are a good idea ,set them all level and drop the base onto them.
As long as they are in the right place I can't see any problems.

Did the sons summer house the same.
Then added a deck board skirt..looked great

they are going to be expensive the timber will need supporting every say400-700mm on every timber
if we assume 5 floor joists across the front at 0-535-1070-1605-2140 so five and say 6 or 7 along the length is 30-35
also timber on the floors is likely to be around the 38mm deep so will require the feet to be wound up nearly fully to allow a few mill off adjustment assuming the slot type

Last edited:
Spent this morning clearing the space and raking the gravel back down to flush with the grids, it's been down probably 8 years now so not going to move!.

Took some measurements and I'll need some sort of level adjustment so will go with those in my picture (and plenty of them!).

Suprisingly it's dead level front to back down the middle which is a bonus.

There's one corner thats a mile out, might set a paving stone down for that one and finish off with the adjusters.

Shame nights come in early, depends when it turns up next Monday but I might only get chance to lay the base level then have to wait till Sunday to crack on again.

20190114_124136.jpg
20190114_130652.jpg

just before you go any further
are you aware off the 50% off garden rule ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back