Lifting Tongue and Groove - Right tool for the job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to lift a load of Tongue and Groove wooden floor and want to double check what people on here use to make the job quick and easy.

I have previously been using an oscillating multi-tool with a semi circular blade. This works fine, but takes forever and is very noisy. I don't mind the noise if it is in short stints, but with the amount of lifting I need to do I feel bad for my neighbours.

It feels like a circular saw on a shallow setting would be perfect to complete the job really quickly?

So, what do people on here recommend?
- Persevere with the multi-tool
- Circular saw on Shallow Setting
- Mini Circular saw like this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Einhell-BT-...8&qid=1406470762&sr=1-8&keywords=circular+saw
- Something else?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Presumably you don't intend to use the timber again?
I use a large wrecking bar to prise the timber up once one plank has gone, and then pull the nails out with the timber over the saw horse.
John :)

Using a breaking bar is fine, but it looks like the flooring was laid before the stud walls were put in place. So I am going to have to make some cuts. What tool do you guys advise? I know that there is no plumbing or electrical cables in the way as I have checked via the ceiling in the floor below so the risk there is marginal.

In terms of reusing the timber...

I am on the line as to whether or not to use it again. I wont be using it in the bathroom, but I have moved my built in wardrobes and where the old air central heating ducts were running there are a few gaps. I was hoping to recover some of the timber (as it is the same as the bedroom floor) for the wardrobe flooring.

I figured that as it will likely only be taking the weight of my wife's shoes, which will be heavy but not that heavy, the boards should be sufficiently strong if nailed down properly.

If you are talking about T&G floor boards then carefully remove them and re-use at some time. Modern dimensions are different and we will never see the old matured wood again.

There are umpteen good posts on here advising on lifting T&G. You should only be obliged to cut one tongue and carefully pry and vibrate up the rest

To cut close to a plate or abutment use a hired reciprocating saw eg a Sawzall.
But it can depend on which way the boards are running in relation to the wall or abutment.

Sponsored Links
I have taken up a load of floorboards recently to rewire and replumb my house. I used a oscillating tool with half moon blades. Bought a load on ebay deep enough to go properly through the board if needed.

Trick I found was to swap blades fairly often for a new one. Cutting across a board and down a few foot of tongue length takes 2 or 3 mins max each time I find. Best gadget I bought in ages.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back