Light always on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I am trying to wire a new ceiling light from Ikea.. It involved taking down the opld ceiling rose and replacing it.. However, like an idiot i forgot to make a note of what wire goes where.. Now when I wired it up the light is constantly on with the switch having no effect..

This is how I wired it.. Out of the ceiling I have 2 x red wires 2 x black wires and 1 x yellow/green wire..

Out of the light fitting I have 1 x Brown and 1 x Blue wire

The yellow/green wire has been attached to the earth, and the rest into the ceiling rose..

The rose has Flex L where you can attach 2 wires Flex N again 2 wires and loop in where you can attach 3 wires.. In the Flex L I have attached 1 x red and 1 x brown. In the Flex N Ihave attached 1 x black and 1 x blue and in the Loop in I have attacehd thew remaining red and black wires..

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong??

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys,

I am trying to wire a new ceiling light from Ikea.. It involved taking down the opld ceiling rose and replacing it.. However, like an idiot i forgot to make a note of what wire goes where.. Now when I wired it up the light is constantly on with the switch having no effect..

This is how I wired it.. Out of the ceiling I have 2 x red wires 2 x black wires and 1 x yellow/green wire..

Out of the light fitting I have 1 x Brown and 1 x Blue wire

The yellow/green wire has been attached to the earth, and the rest into the ceiling rose..

The rose has Flex L where you can attach 2 wires Flex N again 2 wires and loop in where you can attach 3 wires.. In the Flex L I have attached 1 x red and 1 x brown. In the Flex N Ihave attached 1 x black and 1 x blue and in the Loop in I have attacehd thew remaining red and black wires..

Cheers

Why are there so many idiots (your word) like that)?

Next time you join red and black together you will probably take out the whole circuit.

So.

Two reds to the loop. Two blacks to the other 2 terminals, but the one presently going to the loop should be the one going with the brown wire.

But as you clearly don't understand basic lighting arrangements you should not be playing with electrics at all. Paying for an electrician is cheaper than paying with your life.

Thanks for your most helpful reply...

But in actual fact I did wire everything correctly, It's just who wired before me didn't mark the live switching wire.. So I swapped round the two red wires and it works...

As far as I'm aware both the red and black wires should be in the holes marked 'loop'..

But if any qualified Electrician wants to come on here and disagree feel free..

Forums would be a whole lot better without people like you...

The guy solved your problem ? What's your problem ?

I suggest we all ignore your posts and let you PAY for an electrician. All in agreement say I !!!!!!!!!!!

DS

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your most helpful reply...

But in actual fact I did wire everything correctly, It's just who wired before me didn't mark the live switching wire.. So I swapped round the two red wires and it works...

As far as I'm aware both the red and black wires should be in the holes marked 'loop'..

But if any qualified Electrician wants to come on here and disagree feel free..

Forums would be a whole lot better without people like you...

No there should be 2 red wires in the loop.
So it works but is wrong. You now have a permant live to the switch on a black wire. Wire it as I said and put a red sleeve on the black switch wire.

Why the snide comment at the end? You clearly have no idea how circuits work and should not be working on them.

The guy solved your problem ? What's your problem ?

Bit harsh
In his defence it is not unheard of for the BLACK to be used as the feed to the switch and the RED as the switch return, may not be the norm but it happens

But in actual fact I did wire everything correctly

It was NOT wired correctly.
In this case, you fortunately connected the light to the pair of wires from the supply, and connected the other wires together, which did nothing as they connect to the switch.
The opposite would have resulted in a big bang.

Although it can be made to work with red and black in the loop terminal, the accepted method is to put both red wires there, and use the black as a switched live.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Lighting

For any electrical work, it is essential to identify the wiring and connect it properly the first time. Randomly connecting things in various combinations is unacceptable, as plenty of those combinations will not work at all, cause fuses to blow, destroy switches or create dangerous situations.

Why are there so many idiots (your word) like that)?

Next time you join red and black together you will probably take out the whole circuit.

So.

Two reds to the loop. Two blacks to the other 2 terminals, but the one presently going to the loop should be the one going with the brown wire.

But as you clearly don't understand basic lighting arrangements you should not be playing with electrics at all. Paying for an electrician is cheaper than paying with your life.

Are you apprenticed to BAS?

Yes.

Thinking that not having a clue how something works should not in any way be a bar to fiddling with it.

This time you were lucky - another time you might not be.

Please spend some time learning how your electrical system works before poking at it again.

PS - ignore anything Johnmelad says - he's a bit mad, and doesn't think that people should need to actually know what's going on with wires carrying lethal voltages, and is sure that random trial-and-error can't possibly go wrong.

PS - ignore anything Johnmelad says - he's a bit mad, and doesn't think that people should need to actually know what's going on with wires carrying lethal voltages, and is sure that random trial-and-error can't possibly go wrong.

Johnmelad thinks no such thing, like a lot of people on this site we don't appreciate how rude you and your apprentice can be.

:rolleyes:

Well - I don't appreciate how pathetic, childish and hard of thinking you can be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back