Light and plug sockets not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a small problem I'd like help with if I may?

My extension lighting circuit, my kitchen lights and 2 plug sockets all have stopped working suddenly. All at the same time. I believe they are all on the same circuit, somehow, and have replaced the fuse at the fuse box but to no avail. IS there anything obvious that could be causing this please? Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Hi yes, there is a rcd suppling the extension and presumably the kitchen lights too. I have reset it but it tripped again shortly after! Is there anything else I could check to see why this has started happening?

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for replying. There is a rcd similar to shown that supplies the extension and presumably the kitchen lights (dimmer switch) too. I have reset it but it tripped again a little while after. Is there anything likely to be causing this that i can check?

Full unplug all the sockets exceptb maybe the freezer
And reset rcd and see if it stays on

thanks andy, i tried that but the rcd tripped again shortly after. I do believe some water got near one of the low level plug sockets shortly before this first happened. It is dry now but could this still be causing it to trip?

With the power off loosen the socket front from the wall and try and dry it out.

Yes that would cause an rcd trip

If you have water ingress at an accessory then that is very likely the issue.
So socket and conductors require to dry, or dry conductor ends, ensure this circuit is isolated prior to this and replace with new socket.
To ensure it is the socket at fault, you could fully remove the socket, terminate conductor ends safely and prevent any accidental contact by covering the box over and see if the circuit will re-energise.
If you have unplugged appliance as requested, you do actually unplug them from the outlet, just switching off at socket will not have the desired outcome.
Even unplug fridge/freezers, because if you have no power it will make no difference to the food and it could be the F/F that is the issue, you can always use an extension lead to a working socket to stop food from perishing!

thanks for all of your help. I will this morning while it's fully light isolate, remove the socket, isolate the loose wires ends safely and test, I suspect this to be faulty.

I will re-check the fridge freezer again as mentioned. I only checked it before by turning the switch on the spur that supplies it off. Do I need to test this again by pulling the plug out did you say?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back