Light bulb blew up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I switched on the ceiling light this morning, there was a loud bang and this happened. The remainder of the bulb is still in the fitting.

Any idea why this happened, do I need an electrician or can I just replace the bulb and carry on?

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Well you don't necessarily need an electrician, but you definitely need a new ceiling rose. The skirt on that lampholer is super burnt.

You probably only need to replace the lamp drop.

If you're confident, turn the power off, then unscrew the cover, undo the blue and brown cables that that white flex is connected, and replace with the new one.

You could probably just replace the skirt, for it to be that burnt, it would imply the cables have been getting warm too. Put a lower wattage lamp in next time (or even better, LED)

Sometimes when a bulb filament fails a gas plasma is formed (the gas ionises) . This causes a high current to flow in that circuit, usually sufficient to blow the lighting fuse or trip he lighting breaker. The plasma can also produce sufficient mechanical shock to either shatter the glass or blow the glass from the socket.

The "cooking" on the shroud wasn't caused by the plasma, it very much looks like overheating from the bulb's normal use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back