halogen unit/bulb blew up, sparks flew

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently fitted a halogen light myself, it has worked fine now for 2 weeks and today it just went bang (very loud, scared the crap out of me).

When it went bang, one of the bulbs shattered everywhere, hot glass particles landed on my head and it actually burnt holes through my bed sheet. It also tripped at the main box (the upstairs light fuse). :confused:

The light is a 'Zora 50w GU10 3 LT round spotlight item no. 20929'
purchased in b&q clearance sale about 6-8 weeks ago? (£5-£7)

Is there an explanation on why this has happened? (faulty bulbs/unit?)
Could it just be the bulbs? (they came with light)

I don't fancy going through that again, almost had a heart attack.

Sponsored Links
morg said:
The light is a 'Zora 50w GU10 3 LT round spotlight item no. 20929'
purchased in b&q clearance sale about 6-8 weeks ago? (£5-£7)
There's a clue then ;)

Did you put the lamps into the fitting yourself?
Did you use a tissue or clean cloth to handle the lamps or did you just use your greasy fingers.

If you touched the lamp then you will have left some grease on the lamp, this will fry and weaken the surface of the lamp. Eventually it will demonstrate the effect you have described.

I have heard of cheap imported bulbs doing this. I always buy my GU10's from the wholesaler rather than the cheap s**te you can get in DIY stored.

thanks, will try other bulbs then.

yes, I did clean bulb surfaces after fitting them. do not know whether it has collected dirt itself over the last few weeks, but i noticed it was brighter yesterday and today it pops.

hengye is the bulb make, sounds dodge :arrow:

Sponsored Links
This can happen with all halogen lamps, even so called reputable manufacturers, I had this happen after installing a fitting for a customer & the manufacturer was only too willing to compensate them for burn damage to bed linen, soft toys & carpet, particularly as it was a child's bedroom. Go back to B&Q & complain.

thanks jj, i might go back and complain.

Certainly not good bulbs. Nice looking light though for the money, so I'll try some led gu10's instead.

:)

morg said:
yes, I did clean bulb surfaces after fitting them.

Best not to touch them at all between packet and fitting. Cleaning may not remove all the contamination. It only needs a very minute amount of salt or other contaminate on the surface to seed a crystal to grow in the hot envelope of the bulb. Washing up liquid is as bad as sweat for triggering crystal growth

From memory GU10 packs do not carry a warning about handling the bulbs but the smaller halogen bulbs do have this warning.

Is my memory failing me or should I expect some the GU10s in the kitchen to start failing prematurely, and in a big way - some of the bulbs have been in three years!

jj4091 said:
This can happen with all halogen lamps, even so called reputable manufacturers, I had this happen after installing a fitting for a customer & the manufacturer was only too willing to compensate them for burn damage to bed linen, soft toys & carpet, particularly as it was a child's bedroom. Go back to B&Q & complain.
What worries me more is the risk of irreversable injury to the people involved. I'm rather surprised that fittings like this haven't been banned.

I somewhat doubt they will ever manage to push something like that through despite a few eco-nuts wanting it.

plugwash said:
I somewhat doubt they will ever manage to push something like that through despite a few eco-nuts wanting it.

The energy saving eco-nuts and the anti pollution eco-nuts are going to meet head on over this. The heavy metal and other toxic materials from energy saving lamps will be a problem.

Can you imagine having to take the old lamp back to the shop before you can buy a new one to ensure proper re-cycling take place......

plugwash said:
jj4091 said:
What worries me more is the risk of irreversable injury to the people involved. I'm rather surprised that fittings like this haven't been banned.
Yes I completely agree with you plugwash & fortunately in my instance nobody was injured, but as you say the potential is frightening :mad:

bernardgreen said:
Can you imagine having to take the old lamp back to the shop before you can buy a new one to ensure proper re-cycling take place......
In fact, yes. I can. :LOL: This sounds like the best idea i've heard for the recycling of lamps.

Taylortwocities said:
Another few years and they'll all have to be low energy - that'll cause a few problems!

The compact energy saving lamps aren't particularly safe either. A couple of family members have had CFLs melt and fill the room with smoke when they've failed. We've had a Philips branded CFL go bang too :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back