Light circuit live, although switched off at consumer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Was swapping a light switch at the weekend, and switch off the upstairs light circuit, fiddling about with the wires and suddenly got an electric shock,

I checked the lights weren't on when switched off at consumer unit and they never came on so thought all was safe.

Needless to say as soon as I got the shock I just switched off the mains for the whole house and all was ok.

So my question is, any body have a clue why this happened?

Sponsored Links
You didn't test for dead, and the switch was on a different circuit to what you assumed it was.

Nozzle

Was the switch upstairs on the landing ? Did you operate the switch that you were going to work on to see if it turned light on ?
Is it a two or 3 gang switch ?

the switch was a single switch in my sons bedroom, which is an extension added in 89/90.

was assumed "dead" due to the light no longer switching on after turning the circuit off.. The circuit switched off was definitely the correct circuit as none of the upstairs lights switched on after turning the RCD off.

i have just purchased a voltage detector for future.

Sponsored Links
If you turn off the same circuit breaker now ,does it isolate sons bedroom light ?

Was swapping a light switch at the weekend, and switch off the upstairs light circuit, fiddling about with the wires and suddenly got an electric shock, I checked the lights weren't on when switched off at consumer unit and they never came on so thought all was safe.
Was this a 'full blown' electric shock, rather than something more akin to a 'tingle' or something 'startling'?

Kind Regards, John

Was this a 'full blown' electric shock, rather than something more akin to a 'tingle' or something 'startling'?

Kind Regards, John

well i felt it and jumped back, so my recollection may be a bit ott, it was probably more likely a tingle.

If it were just a 'tingle', that would change things a lot. That's why I asked.

Kind Regards, John

Not sure if that's a good thing or not tbh.

I can't really make a definitive decision as to whether it was a shock or tingle,

I didn't have hair standing on end and I wasn't thrown across the room, nor did I spasm and made to hold on to it.

I never changed the ssitchbi. The end as the new one was faulty but plan on trying again at the weekend. I'll confirm the voltage then.

Not sure if that's a good thing or not tbh.

I can't really make a definitive decision as to whether it was a shock or tingle,

I didn't have hair standing on end and I wasn't thrown across the room, nor did I spasm and made to hold on to it.

I never changed the ssitchbi. The end as the new one was faulty but plan on trying again at the weekend. I'll confirm the voltage then.
Well if we knew it was a ssitchbi , that explains it all :LOL::LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back