Light connectors - no earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fit a wall light to the top of the stairwell in my flat. There was previously some kind of light fitting there which looks like a bedside lamp stuck to a wall! Have removed the previous fitting and there are just the 2 core wires coming out of the wall into a terminator block.
I can't see an earth although looking on the other side of the wall and above - there is an old ceiling rose without a cord hanging down. I wonder if the person who converted the flat has take the L and N and extended the wires to the outlet in the wall where I want to fit the new light.
Is it safe to fit without the earth and I'm guessing it's probably not as the new light has a metal base on it.
How do I go about earth the new fitting.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Is it safe to fit without the earth and I'm guessing it's probably not as the new light has a metal base on it.
How do I go about earth the new fitting.
Thanks in advance.

As you rightly say, if the new fitting is class I, which it without doubt will be if it has a metal base with an earth connection, then you cannot fit it. You will either have to replace the existing wiring right back to wherever you can pick up an earth from the same circuit, or buy a class II double insulated light fitting that doesn't require an earth. You may get lucky and find that the cable in the wall is actually twin+CPC (earth) with the CPC trimmed right back.

Worth noting that even if you do find an earth in the ceiling rose, I'd be a little dubious about whether or not it's connected at the other end if the wiring is old and/or has been fiddled with by a previous DIYer. Of course, without an earth loop impedance meter, you have little means of testing it properly.

You may want to check the rest of the lighting circuit for the same reason

Thanks guys.
Bought a double insulated light, fitted and all works fine.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back