Light fitting for toilet cupboard suggestions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At my parents house we have what we call the "toilet cupboard", a downstairs toilet situated partly under the stairs with a low ceiling.

For years we had a 3 foot strip light in there, which worked fine, but the tubes got very hard to find, I replaced it with a sylvania sylcycle LED fitting a few years ago, it might still be in warrently but I can't remember exactly where it was bought or by who. Will need to chase that up.

If it turns out to be out of warrenty or we can't find the paperwork on where/how it was bought, then i'm reluctant to just buy a like for like replacement. Any suggestions for a quality low profile surface mount fitting that doesn't look too industrial.

Sponsored Links
I have a couple of these fittings from TLC:

Non-replaceable bulbs, but hopefully they should have some longevity in a little used room. Mine have been going for a couple of years, and look good with the brushed chrome covers.
Being able to change the colour temperature is also a nice feature.

Also comes with a flex tail, rather than being designed to connect directly to existing fixed wiring :(

Sponsored Links
I'm not 100% sure how the room in question was constructed and whether it has a ceiling void in the conventional sense.

In any case dad bought a LAP fititng of similar style to the Cylcircle, it has now been installed, we will see how it does.

In any case dad bought a LAP fititng of similar style to the Cylcircle, it has now been installed, we will see how it does.
LAP is very much a budget range. LAP not renowned for living too long.
Best to keep the receipt for that one!

I know, but it seems very hard to find light fittings. So many fittings seem to either look very industrial or have flex tails rather than being designed to connect to fixed wiring.

I have a couple of these fittings from TLC:

Non-replaceable bulbs, but hopefully they should have some longevity in a little used room. Mine have been going for a couple of years, and look good with the brushed chrome covers.
Being able to change the colour temperature is also a nice feature.
I have fitted the single colour (cool white) versions of that fitting in 2 rental properties and my bathroom, first failed at about 8 years, at 10 & 11 years other couple are still going strong. Early versions had the tail terminated in loose connector.
Instructions say 55mm hole minimum, I say 65-70mm.

We have the brushed chrome trim, left them white in rentals.

As it happens we fitted some 24W wholesaler branded Sylcircles (I think 'Olympic' but not totally sure, the MI's still showed as Sylvania) in a commercial property a few years back. We had to change some to smaller sizes as too bright in small areas. IIRC they were quite nice to work with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back