New light & switch under the stairs cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We use the space in the cupboard under the stairs but have to fumble about in the dark. I want fit a light and switch there. The nearest electrical point is a two way switch in the kitchen controlling the kitchen lights. Is it possible to take a feed from this switch as this would mean a hole drilled through the wall from behind the switch into the cupboard to run the cable.

:idea: Please don't suggest any battery operated lights

Sponsored Links
solar? :confused:

It depends on whether you have access to a neutral in the back of the existing switch. Can't tell without looking.

Is it possible to take a feed from this switch as this would mean a hole drilled through the wall from behind the switch into the cupboard to run the cable.
It might be, but it probably isn't.

It will only be possible if:

a) Your lighting circuit is wired with the loop at the switches, not the ceiling fittings, or there won't be a neutral there.

AND

b) that switch has the cable running to the kitchen light, not just the strappers from the other switch.

So what does the switch have?

See //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting for details.

Sponsored Links
Unlike some people I don't carry disagreements from one topic to another - I'll react to mikhailfaradayski here on the basis of what he writes here, not on what he has written, or how he has behaved, in other topics.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back