Light for understair cupboard

adm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wanting to add a light to the under stairs cupboard and was wondering if the following would be ok ??
I have bought a small strip light with its own built in switch so no additional switch would be required and in the cupboard we have a FSU that the intruder alarm comes from via the consumer unit and was wondering can i take an extra cable out of this to the new strip light or not ??
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Yes, as long as you come out of the load side of the FSU.

PJ

Hello all, i know the above thread is 7 years old but i have hit a problem and wondered if ayone can give me any constructive advice.
When i came in from work the other day i noticed the house alarm was not working even though it set ok when i left the house on the morning, i checked the 3A Fsu that the alarm and the above understair cupboard light is wired into and noticed the neon light was not lit, i switched off the mcb for the upstairs lighting that the alarm is wired into and changed the 3A fuse, when i switched the mcb back on the fuse blew again with a loud bang and tripped the mcb i have now removed that 3A fuse so i have no power to the alarm or the understair cupboard light. Any ideas why this should have occured and what the course of action should be.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Have you got a multimeter? Might be that the light is faulty or the alarm unit. If you have a meter you might be able to determine which is faulty. i'll wait for your response.

Thanks for yor reply, I do have a multimeter and will check both alarm and light, as i have said though the alarm was existing and the light added 7 years ago and have had no problems at all in that time.

Remove them from the FCU and test to see if either have an open circuit or a low enough resistance to cause the fuse to blow.

The light is an under kitchen cupboard small 8w fluorescent tube strip light.

does it make a difference what sort of light it is ?

Either the panel is faulty or the striplight.

Has the strip light got a lead you can unplug?

You could disconnect it and see if it is the problem as chivers suggests. But if it is the type with no earth connection, it will be difficult to test.

Isn't that a bit trial-and-error?
I thought you were against that?

No, fault-finding by elimination is not the same as the trial-and-error of connecting things up in different ways until you luck on the way that works, and hopefully avoid the one(s) which allow the blue smoke to escape.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back