Ideas for understairs cupboard lighting please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a big understairs cupboard and there is no pendant light near it in the hall alongside. So, I need to put a light inside.

The ceiling of the cupboard is sloped and made of plasterboard covering the underside of the stairs.

There is an electric socket on the wall.

Someone suggested I search ebay for "LED strip lighting" but when I did all I found was long thin strips of decorative (Xmas?) lighting. I wonder if that is what he meant. Would that in fact be a good choice, seeing as I can run the lights all around the ceiling of the cupboard in a long rectangle shape.

Is it safe to use such lights in an understairs cupboard? Or would it be annoying because if one bulb goes the whole thing stop working (or is that not the case any more?)

Lady.

Sponsored Links
Strip or tape LEDs usually run on 12v DC from a high efficiency electronic transformer. They have an adhesive backing, and come in White, Warm White, Red, Blue, Green, etc, and multicolours. Multicoloured LEDs can be operated with a controller to change colour and pattern depending on type. Prices can vary widely. Best to buy a kit with tape, transformer and connectors, and controller if supplied.

If one fails, the rest carry on working (they only tend to fail if there is a poor contact in the 3-unit LED strip.)

The individual LED lamps usually are spaced at 3 units per 5 cm strip, which is the shortest working length which can be cut, and usually come in 5 m lengths (300 LEDs).

They need to be connected to the 12v transformer either with a dedicated connector, or by soldering to connecting wires. It is possibly more sturdy to protect the strips with some form of transparent or translucent protective cover. For instance, a number of lengths could be mounted in a picture frame to give a window effect, concentrating the light, then with a diffusing sheet to spread the illumination, then hung on a wall of the cupboard.

Sponsored Links
Rope lights are good for lighting places like under stairs.

I have used these http://www.lyco.co.uk/outdoor-lighting/decorative/rope-lights.html in a couple of dark cupboard. They have a tough outer sheath which protects the LEDs and wiring from damage.

Avoid those that have a controller for various flashing modes as there is a good chance they will go into a flashing mode when switched on. Not the best when looking for something in the cupboard.

( Lyco appear to have stopped stocking them but other sources must be available )

If it's a cupboard, just get a 16 w 2d fitting. These are usually circular bulkhead fittings, made of plastic. They are relatively cheap, and hard to damage, and can be fitted on the wall or ceiling.

Also they are easy to fit.

You could possibly connect to the socket via a switched fused unit with 5 amp fuse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back