Light for understair cupboard

In both cases one disconnects wires in the hope of making it right and powers up. In both cases there is scope to re-energise a dead short.

What I'm saying is that, with the best will in the world without professional test equipment that diyers don't have, there is always an element of what you protest should not happen.

Sponsored Links
But that does not really test the functioning of a SMPSU - this is blowing a fuse, not tripping an RCD, so it's a L-N overcurrent problem, not a leakage one.

Sponsored Links
Don't understand. You can just megger L&N to E.

Putting the 500 volts from a megger onto the terminals of an SMPS is likely to do some harm to the device. May not kill it immediately but damage it enough that it fails sooner than it would have done had it not been "meggered"

Surely not if you put L&N together then measure between that and earth?

Been doing it all my life and not killed anything!

The vunerable components are the capacitors and bleed resistors in the mains input filters. The item still works but is then prone to malfunction if the mains supply is noisy. Audio equipment and communications equipment functions but audio noise levels increase.

Sure, but meggering between L/N combined and earth will not damage these components.

That's a new one on me; I thought they were connected across L-N.

No - that's why people get problems with accumulated leakage from lots of SMPSUs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back