House alarm in cupboard off shower room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We currently in the process of some internal restructuring of our house (see my previous post for more details: //www.diynot.com/forums/building/house-project-kitchen-shower-room.308609/#2437785).

We have knocked through under our stairs to gain access to a new shower room. Hopefully these pics will explain better than I could:
Looking through under stair cupboard and new opening
Part of understair cupboard with sloping ceiling
Looking back at cupboard under stairs from new shower room.

We would like to resite our house alarm in the part of the understair cupboard with sloping ceiling and block this off with a new door to make a smaller cupboard. We would also like to keep just the single door to the hall since the shower room is rather small and we want to avoid a door opening into it. However, we would then effectively have a house alarm in a cupboard off the shower room. My question is - will this be allowable?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The location where the alarm is to be fitted, would not contravene any requirements in respect to bath/shower zones. So is okay as far as a location.
Other requirements regarding the safe installation of the circuit and equipment must be complied to. But fine in an under stairs cupboard with easy access.

Would it really have been too hard for you to rotate those photos before uploading them?

Thanks PrenticeBoyofDerry!

That's good news that it's OK from the point of view of bath/shower zones. The cupboard that I will make will probably only be 3 or 4 feet tall with a shelf on top and I intend to put the alarm box on one of the inner side walls of the cupboard. I presume that, as long as the door gives adequate access to the box, we will be OK?

In terms of the safe installation, I will probably tackle this myself (possibly with the help of one or two posts on the forums!). The fused spur that supplies the box runs from the part of the cupboard I want to move to so should just be a case of shortening the cable and replacing cable to a couple of the PIR sensors which run the other way.

Sorry BAS - I was in a hurry last night. Should be fixed now.

Sponsored Links
There are a few issues that should be complied to, the route of the cable should be protected, this can be done mechanically or be using what are known as "safe zones"
Useful links below:
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques:walls
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques:route
Also consideration for cables buried in the walls and not mechanically, even if in safe zones, is RCD protection.
Plus cables that are chased in to wall must comply to building regulations,
The case depth should not be greater that 1/6th of the wall/leafs thickness on the horizontal chase and 1/3rd on the vertical chase.
Please also note that any jointing of cable (ie junction boxes of choc boxes) should be easily accessible for inspection and testing.
Unless certain other methods are made to joint the cables, one possible way would be by the use of MF junction boxes, that are suitably rated for the circuit.

Thanks again PrenticeBoyofDerry - the links look very helpful.

BAS - this is all part of a larger project involving a kitchen, utility room and shower room. All building work and the other electrics and plumbing work is being done by pros. My builder had not factored in resiting the alarm to his quote and, if it is going to be extra, I said I'd do it. I guess if it is moved now before this area becomes a shower room, it wouldn't be notifiable?

Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back