Light fitting loop connection

Sponsored Links
It was "resolved" in the sense that someone was helped to fiddle with things which he did not understand by following insert-this-wire-into-that-hole type instructions, without him actually having a clue as to why.

What is unresolved is the problem that someone who doesn't seem to realise that if you take some wiring and change what is connected to what, it isn't going to work in the same way, someone who can look at an accessory where two conductors from the circuit are connected together and think "I know, I'll have them not connected together any more, what could go wrong", thinks it's OK for him to do electrical work.

@ban-all-sheds I remember my first electrics kit at age 9 years old, said on the box age 10+. I was really excited at my new present and eagerly opened the book.
First circuit was a battery connecting to a bulb via a switch. But they didn't explain it that way, every circuit had a long list 45 to 49, 47 to 51, 19 to 12. All you did is bent over the spring and slotted the wire in. In t end you connected the battery, and it usually worked first time. If not you checked the battery and connections and eventually it would work.
I hadn't got a clue what connected where for which reason, it was all magic. But I had hours of fun and I knew I wasn't allowed to connect anything that wasn't in the book.
Same applied to the computer, I just typed in the code in the book carefully and ran it, if it didn't work I'd look for the error.
I would never have got to the next stage of understanding if I hadn't done something I didn't understand first.
I'm sure you were born instinctively able to wire a consumer unit and ir test all the circuits, but for most people there's a learning process.
I think if you're going to start somewhere with 240v mains, a plug is a good place, but lighting roses seem to be the popular way...

I think if you're going to start somewhere with 240v mains, a plug is a good place, but lighting roses seem to be the popular way

That's it's because they can do the plug, so we don't get asked that question. Don't like the lights, lets see if I can change them is pretty much the next stage for most people.

Sponsored Links
OP could have started here.
https://www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Lighting

and it usually worked first time. If not you checked the battery and connections and eventually it would work.
There's the difference. You wanted to learn.

Some people just don't bother; especially today with being glued to the mobile all day and the preponderance of cotton wool in the country.

Not being able to tell the difference between this

upload_2017-10-8_15-11-0.png

and this

upload_2017-10-8_15-1-51.png

is not because of the lack of electrical circuitry knowledge.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help guys, despite my incompetence, inability to read and follow basic instructions I have somehow managed to complete the job :)

I think we should dig that one out more often, what's the link Taylor - nice one.

Just search for applause gif.
You'll find it - and others too.

I used to have it in my Photobucket library. But they now have stopped anybody sharing links on to other sites unless you pay them $$$$ every month.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back