Light fitting problem - can anyone help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Replaced an old light fitting in the hall with a new one....managed to blow a fuse when switched power back on (think a wire had slipped out).

Changed fuse wire, re-fitted new hall light............bingo - new hall light now works.

Problem is, the light in the kitchen no longer works - was absolutely fine until I fitted the new hall light! (All other lights in the house are working)

Suspect I need an electrician but any other suggestions greatly received!

moved as posted in wrong forum

Sponsored Links
need to know what cables are in light fitting you changed. i sounds like a wire is out or wrong tho

The original light fitting consisted of a plastic 'loop' fitting which had two brown wires connected to a 'chocolate box''. When I removed this fitting, I was left with neutral, live and earth wires. I connected the neutral and live (as per the instructions) and the earth was taped up.

you just had one live one netural and one earth?

or were there more wires?

Sponsored Links
The original fitting consisted of a live (red) neutral (black) and earth wires.

There was also a piece of plastic which had two brown wires - each end of which were connected to the light fitting (screwed in) and the other ends were connected to the connector box.

I (think) that the live and neutral wires were also initially connected to the light i.e. screwed in alongside the brown wires.

I unconnected the brown wires from the light and removed the piece of plastic. (I have still have this piece of plastic which now consists of two brown wires screwed into a connecting box).

I then connected the live and neutral wires to the new light (no earth connection made - not required according to instructuions).

I think these brown wires must have something to do with it?

if the brown wires were part of the light then no

my guess is that the peice of T&E you see coming out of the ceiling is a very short run to some kind of connection and that you messed up that connection when trying to remove the light (if the cable from the ceiling came out of the block on the light before you managed to see it then it doesn't bode well for the previous installers screw tightning skills)

can you get access to this mess from above?

Unfortunately, I don't think I can get access from above.

I'm tempted to put the old fitting back on and cut my losses! (Bloody girlfriend comes home from B&Q with a bright idea - NOT!)

i highly doubt putting the old fitting back will make any difference.

to fix this you are going to have to get access to that void either through the ceiling of through the floor......

generally the floor is the easier direction provided it is covered with a floor covering that can be lifted without wrecking it (this is when people discover that laminate flooring was maybe not the worlds brightest idea)

plugwash said:
this is when people discover that laminate flooring was maybe not the worlds brightest idea
Yeah - but it looks good, doesn't....

Ah - no - it also looks cr*p, doesn't it....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back