Light Switch problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
When it comes to DIY I am useless :) . I thought I'd have no problem changing my light switch in the kitchen when it broke. Problem is now with the new switch I have installed when I turn my kitchen light switch on all the other lights go out. They come back on when i turn the light switch in the kitchen off again.

What have i done wrong?

And is it dangerous?

Many thanks for any advice/help

Rob

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the lighting circuit loops at the light switch, you have connected the permanent live feed to com, switched live to L1 and live loop out to L2. Take the wire out of L2 (note which one it is) and put it in with Com. Does this work?

If not, put the original wire back in L2 and put the wire from L1 in with the com.

Hi Thanks for the advice.

I followed your instructions but I when I make the changes you suggested the other lights work but the kitchen light doesn't, or the kitchen light works and the rest of the lights do not.

Thanks

Rob

rob i am guessing you have three reds in the switch, how many cables and what colour are in the switch

Sponsored Links
Hi yes I do have 3 red wires.. I am guessing they are all live. I have them all in the switch in L1 com and L2 but switching them around seem to have different effects but not the combination that is supposed to work. ie when I switch my kitchen light on every other light should work as well.

Only one is live. I think that when you took Spark123's advice in the first place, you actually had an additional complication in that you had the live in L1 at the time.

Assuming Spark123 is correct, you need to have two in Com and one in L1. I don't think you can go wrong by just experimenting with different combinations in those connections until it works.

Don't forget to turn the power off before each change though.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back