Light switch renewal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Light switch renewal

I am replacing all the old light switches around the house but have found a problem with a switch that is shared between the downstairs hall light and the upstairs landing light.

The hall light is controlled by the left hand switch, from the downstairs only, and the landing light is controlled by both the downstairs switch, on the right of the plate, and the one on the landing itself.
I have found the new switch to have a different terminal layout to the old one and really daren't risk using my imagination. If I got plumbing wrong I'd only get wet but I ain't going to risk my life with electrical experimentation.

Anyway, I'm sure the regular experts in the forum have the answer. Thanks for your help in anticipation.

Picture

Sponsored Links
what dont you understand bout it? there is nothin wrong with this method unless its between 2 circuits (i.e phase comes from downstairs and neutral is from upstairs, but id imagine old houses would only have 1 circuit)

EDIT: from the diagram there appears to be a red missing. is there a red cut off somewhere not connected? also, there are 2 blues, 2 yellows and 1 red - chat cables do these come from? (i assume there are 2 3C+E cables to the switch). is there a 2nd switch for the downstairs?

From what I see on the picture, I would assume A and B translate to the 2 COM terminals, with A1,B1 and A2,B2 translating to L1 and L2 (not marked on picture but should be on the switch) to the appropriate switch.

Test this with a multimeter first by checking the continuity paths match when the switches are identically positioned but make sure you know where each wire goes before you disconnect them all (I use small pieces of different coloured tape for this).

thats what i was thinking, but note the colours to the terminals. B1 and B2 have blue cores and A1 and A2 have yellow cores, which is making me think it might not be A-com, A1-L1, A2-L2. also, one goes to another switch but 1 doesnt(?) so why are there not empty terminals and why 2 3C+E, instead of a T+E and 3C+E

Sponsored Links
andrew2022 said:
what dont you understand bout it? there is nothin wrong with this method unless its between 2 circuits (i.e phase comes from downstairs and neutral is from upstairs, but id imagine old houses would only have 1 circuit)

EDIT: from the diagram there appears to be a red missing. is there a red cut off somewhere not connected? also, there are 2 blues, 2 yellows and 1 red - chat cables do these come from? (i assume there are 2 3C+E cables to the switch). is there a 2nd switch for the downstairs?

Andrew,
I know there's nothing with the actual method itself. It's just I can't figure which lead goes to which terminal on the new switch repesented on the bottom of the picture.
The leads shown on the old switch on the top of the picture are shown exactly as they are right now.
There's nothing been removed or added so all the leads are presently in the correct trerminal.
The new switch has a different layout. I need to know which lead to put in the terminals.
I forgot to mark the bottom terminals on the new switch. These are shown as 1 way and 2 way on each of the block of 3 terminals.
Any better to help me?

lynnzer said:
Andrew,
I know there's nothing with the actual method itself. It's just I can't figure which lead goes to which terminal on the new switch repesented on the bottom of the picture.
The leads shown on the old switch on the top of the picture are shown exactly as they are right now.
There's nothing been removed or added so all the leads are presently in the correct trerminal.
The new switch has a different layout. I need to know which lead to put in the terminals.
I forgot to mark the bottom terminals on the new switch. These are shown as 1 way and 2 way on each of the block of 3 terminals.
Any better to help me?

we need to know more. are there 2 3C+E cables coming into the back of the switch. the way i would assume to wire the new switch from the old one looks like it wont work, since there shouldnt be 2 blue cores fro the L1 and L2 terminals. can you look in the back of the switch upstairs and see how that one is wired.

also, do you own a multimeter?

EDIT: any chance of a picture?

The red wire should go to both coms on the new switch, the L1/L2 (1way two way) will have the effect of having up as on instead of down if you get them crossed-irritating but not wrong. Clearly keep left/right hand sides separate as they are now -apart from the red link of course.
M
I'm not too surprised to see red as the shared live and lamp and yellow and blue as the sliders - it all depends critically on what is at the other end -the electrons don't care about the colours, and neither do a lot of wiring installations.
these may help nice pics
do realise the colours are not important, its the connectivity.
M[/url]

mapj1 said:
The red wire should go to both coms on the new switch, the L1/L2 (1way two way) will have the effect of having up as on instead of down if you get them crossed-irritating but not wrong. Clearly keep left/right hand sides separate as they are now -apart from the red link of course.
M
I'm not too surprised to see red as the shared live and lamp and yellow and blue as the sliders - it all depends critically on what is at the other end -the electrons don't care about the colours, and neither do a lot of wiring installations.
these may help nice pics
do realise the colours are not important, its the connectivity.
M[/url]

Many thanks for the info. Have now connected and everything's fine.
Thanks again pal.
Merry Xmas and a happy and healthy New Year

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back