Light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have just had to replace a pull cord switch. I have removed the old one and wired in the new switch and it seems to be working fine. There was 2 brown wires and an earth. The problem I have is that before I replaced the switch my extracor fan would switch off after 30 mins approx but now it stays on full time until I switch it off at it's own switch. As there was only 2 cbales in the light switch did it make the fan switch off before I replaced the thing or has the fan now gone independant. Any help would be great as I am new to this Forum

Regards

Colin :confused:

Sponsored Links
You can't do much wrong if you only have two browns and an earth at the switch.
You could verify that you have live, switch live and neutral (and for good measure, earth) going to the fan, in which case if you do then it is likely that the timer in the fan has gone.

You can't do much wrong if you only have two browns and an earth at the switch.
Nor could you ever have supplied permanent and switched live to the fan.
How do you know what the fan is being supplied with? (not all wires come from switches - and the fan's clearly getting a neutral from somewhere, too!)

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
So either:

1) The fan coincidentally went wrong at precisely the same time as the switch was replaced.

or

2) The wiring at the switch was/is not quite as described.

So either:
1) The fan coincidentally went wrong at precisely the same time as the switch was replaced.
or
2) The wiring at the switch was/is not quite as described.
Yep. I reckon that's about it. Coincidences of that sort being pretty unlikely, I would favour (2) - and just wonder whether that 'earth' (in addition to the two browns) at the light switch really was/is an 'earth'.

Kind Regards, John.

Lamp fails, causing a surge which damages the switch and the timer in the fan at the same time.

We can only go on what we are being told, it is possible that the wiring was done to the switch in twin brown + earth and the connections for the fan elsewhere.
Like I said before, the way forward is to confirm you have got what you need at the fan.

Lamp fails, causing a surge which damages the switch and the timer in the fan at the same time.
Theoretically possible, yes, but I would think pretty unlikely. I would have thought that for a lamp failure to result in damge to either the switch or a fan timer would be fairly unusual, and to do both of those things very unusual.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back