Light Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i am putting a new light switch in and it has a black and red wire going into it, do i need to connect a earth cable into the light switch box? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Let's work the other way round: does the cable have an earth wire?

If not, you must only fit a plastic switch.

It only has a black and red wires and no earth, ok thats a shame was hoping i could change my plastic light switch to a metal one. Thanks for that.

Have a careful look at the cable, there may be an earth conductor, but (in older installations) it was sometimes cut back.

If its there, you then need to test if it really is connected to the protective earth.

Per the above, if no earth, then no metal switches or metal fittings can be used unless they are double insulated.

Sponsored Links
As previous post if no earth/CPC, Class I fittings cannot be installed, so class II/double insulated fittings need to be fitted.
It maybe possible that the earth/CPC has been cut back and could be enough to be able to amend this, so check within the outer sheath of both red and black conductors for bare copper. It could also be that it's a metallic conduit system and that is providing the earth.
If CPC is found it is very likely that you will need to tie in all the CPCs of the circuit to get continuity back to the fuse board/mains earth terminal.
So a continuity test would be required and confirmed as suitable.

I think i need to wear glasses as there is a earth wire there so pleased i can fit my metal light switch, i have tested it and is all ok :D back to orginal question and that is do i connet a small earth strap between the light switch and back box, sorry not sure what its called?? Thanks :)

Would depend on the lugs for the screws, if they are both adjustable then you should, if one or more rigid, then not required. belt/braces I would link across.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back