Light switches a few questions.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently been replacing brass (effect) sockets and light switches with stainless steel types. During the course of the changeover I have come across a few things that I would like some advice (cannot find specifics in the Wiki)

1. Kitchen/Utility. In replacing the last 2 gang 2 way switch which controls a. the utility room light and b. the outside light I found a wire on the old switch bridging terminal marked 3 on one gang to the common terminal on the other gang. Copied the wiring exactly and switch works as expected
This is something I have not seen before and I can only assume that this is a borrowed live - is this correct?

2. In replacing all the switches I noticed that no earthing made to the switch itself. Earth connections on all back boxes.
Is it safe/good practice to rely on the screw to back box for earth connection or should I run another earth from the back box to the switch earth?

3. Conservatory. About to replace the light switch in this area and found that the switch is actually double pole. Main feed into the conservatory is from the downstairs ring main with a fused spur to the lighting (comprising 6 x 50watt spots). Is there any reason why I cannot replace this switch with a standard single pole?

Sponsored Links
1. was the 2G2W switch wired as a 2 way switch for the utility room? one by the back door one by the internal door maybe?
was there another wire in the terminal marked 3 besides the link?
if there was then the wire in terminal 3 was likely the live strapper and linking it to the com on the other switch provided a live to the outside light.

look for 2 way switching in the wiki for more info..

2. the earth should go to the faceplate with a flylead to the backbox.

3. as long as you're not changing the fused spur for a switc then I can't think of any reason to need a DP switch..

1. was the 2G2W switch wired as a 2 way switch for the utility room? one by the back door one by the internal door maybe?
Spot on - have you been to my house :)
was there another wire in the terminal marked 3 besides the link?
if there was then the wire in terminal 3 was likely the live strapper and linking it to the com on the other switch provided a live to the outside light.
Yes there was another wire in terminal 3

look for 2 way switching in the wiki for more info..

2. the earth should go to the faceplate with a flylead to the backbox.
Thanks for confirming this - looks like I will need to visit all the light switches in the house !!

3. as long as you're not changing the fused spur for a switc then I can't think of any reason to need a DP switch..
Good as I already purchased the switch!

ColJack thank you for your quick reply :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back