Light switches and neons

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently my mother in laws garage has a light switch at one end. She would like one at the other end and one indoors. Now I have no problem with this (wiring wise) however the one indoors would need to have a neon so that she could tell if the light had been left on in the garage inside without having to go and have a look. Is this possible?

Help great fully appreciated.

Jeremy

Sponsored Links
Is the garage attached to the house?
If so it is possible, it will mean you need both a neutral and the correct switched live at switch position (correct meaning the one which connects to the lamp, not a strapper). You could run a twin and earth back from the light fitting to the switch to provide these to run the neon, I'm thinking a two module grid ( clicky ) with a two way switch in one side and a neon indicator in the other.

Is the garage attached to the house?

Yes to the side

If so it is possible, it will mean you need both a neutral and the correct switched live at switch position (correct meaning the one which connects to the lamp, not a strapper). You could run a twin and earth back from the light fitting to the switch to provide these to run the neon, I'm thinking a two module grid

In essence this would be thw fist switch to the light yes, and then take the other two switches from this?!?!

( clicky ) with a two way switch in one side and a neon indicator in the other.

A strapper is what connects the two way switches together, if you go the route of running a twin and earth directly from the light to supply the neon then it wont matter about the sequence of the switches.

Sponsored Links
Ah ha! I did not realise you could power the neon seperately. That has answered my question. Thanks

The easiest way to have a two way switch and a neon in the same enclosure is to use a grid switch and a neon module.
I think you are thinking of the switches with a built in neon - they are double pole switches. They are not two way nor intermediate hence no good :(

If you don't want to run a separate neutral, you could use a neon locator. It is a thin plate which fits betwen the lightswitch and the wall which has a neon at the top. It doesn't need a neutral. They are about £5. The neon will be ON when the light is OFF if that's any good to you?

I'm changing around 50 plain switches for ones with a neon in, as its a steel conduit system I'm using the old switch-live to pull in a new switch-live and a neutral.

The ones I'm fitting are MEM, single grid module, and I must say, look dead smart.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back