Light switches in a bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just want to confirm whether I can place light switches inside the bathroom. I looked at the zone system and I think I understand the restrictions, but would appreciate some confirmation.

We want to swap out the pull switch for a wall switch. The position, beside the door, is about a 1.5m from the shower entrance and the same from the basin/WC.

We want a light over the mirror and that switch could be about 800mm from the basin.

Sponsored Links
Switches may be fitted if more than 600mm. from a vertical line from the edge of a bath or shower.

That may be so but I wouldn't do it. My arm is longer than 600mm and I can reach 1.5 metres from a shower!

Some people, usually women, seem to have an avertion to pull switches. A stern talk about the dangers of mixing water and electricity will usually overcome it.

Sponsored Links
That may be so but I wouldn't do it. My arm is longer than 600mm and I can reach 1.5 metres from a shower!

Some people, usually women, seem to have an avertion to pull switches. A stern talk about the dangers of mixing water and electricity will usually overcome it.
Just take a look round a kitchen, lots of switches, lots of wet hands, no pull switches (can you imagine) no retrictions on placement.

I now have an image of a kitchen with a dozen pull swtches dangling from the ceiling. One for the oven, one for the fan isolator, one for the washing machine, etc etc.

Go on, admit it, your personal view of the World thinks that it isn't right to put switches in a bathroom, but one can. The regs allow it.

Just take a look round a kitchen, lots of switches, lots of wet hands, no pull switches (can you imagine) no retrictions on placement.

I now have an image of a kitchen with a dozen pull swtches dangling from the ceiling. One for the oven, one for the fan isolator, one for the washing machine, etc etc.

I don't stand in the kitchen sink with water running over me, but I do in a shower.

There is no requirement for isolation switches for the oven, fan, washing machine, etc.

Whether the regs allow it or not I would not put a wall switch that can be reached while in a shower.

have a look at the quinetik range from TLC...wireless switches that you could have on your shower screen ...if you wanted

Me too, I hate fiddling around trying to find the cord in the dark, mine are outside the door.

Two of my prievous houses had switches outside the door. One of my first jobs was to replace them with pull cords inside. Hate it when someone looking for the hall switch plunges one into darkness while in the shower or sitting on the throne.

Elsewhere, I have seen people advising against using standard light switches in bathrooms because of the risk of water ingress from the ambient steam.

I have no idea if they were being overly cautious or not though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back