Light Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

I need to wire in a new upstairs landing light but need help.

It can be turned on and off from upstairs landing or downstairs, The downstairs is wired in fine buy me but it did only have your 3 standard wires so it was easy.

Upstairs has -

x3 Blue, one of which has a brown sleeve on it in part.
x3 Brown
x1 Earth

Can you please advise on how to wire this into a new terminal block.

The new light has neutral, live and earth connections and space in the block for further wires.

Really appreciate it.

Thanks

Gavin.

Sponsored Links
How is it wired now?

If it's a standard 3 plate, you'll see:

browns all in one connector block- permanent live [evan with the switch off] - put these together in the "spare" connector

blue with brown marker- switched live - live to light fitting

blues - neutral - neutral to light.

edit- earths, obvious, you've probably got 3 in one sleeve, make sure all the cores are securely connected in the block

At the moment the ceiling plate is wired like so -

empty Blue Blue Brown Brown Brown Switched Live (Blue/Brown) empty

Yes that sounds like a standard 3 plate, if the browns are all indeed in the same connector.

TIP: When you take it down, make sure you don't lose the brown marker off the switched live, I usually snip the copper off to identify it from the neutrals ;)

Sponsored Links
Yep they are all in the same place.

I am going to wire the switched live to the live of the light and the neutrals to the neutral of the light, then 3 browns to a searate connector and leave it aside.

So far wired in the 3 browns but it is too dark to finish so going to wait til tomorrow.

When I put the electricity back on I have 3 upstairs rooms lights not working? Is this going to be the case until I finish wiring in the landing light?

The bathroom, toilet and one bedroom are out.

Thanks
Gavin

I am going to wire the switched live to the live of the light and the neutrals to the neutral of the light, then 3 browns to a searate connector and leave it aside.

So far wired in the 3 browns but it is too dark to finish so going to wait til tomorrow.

When I put the electricity back on I have 3 upstairs rooms lights not working? Is this going to be the case until I finish wiring in the landing light?

Thanks
Gavin

the 3 cables are supply in, supply out, and switch wire (the one with brown marker)

by leaving the supply in/out disconnected you've broken the supply chain which loops to every fitting, so all the "downstream" lights won't work.

Thanks
Gavin

the 3 cables are supply in, supply out, and switch wire (the one with brown marker)

by leaving the supply in/out disconnected you've broken the supply chain which loops to every fitting, so all the "downstream" lights won't work.

From what I can make out he's connected all the "lives" (Brown) together. Sounds like It's the Blue wires not being connected (Neutral) that's causing the other lights not to work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back