Light wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I bet it’s been asked a million times before but I’ll ask again in case my situation is different.

I’m looking to replace the light at the bottom of my stairway.
The light socket is a 3 way socket, 1 for the downstairs light, 1 for upstairs and 1 for the outside security camera. (Which oddly enough the light doesn’t Work on it....)

anyway.....

the fitting on my new light is the basic 1 brown, 1 blue and 1 live. When I open up the rose ceiling cover I’m greeted with an array of cables and I’m looking for advice on where they all go?

ive taken photos before I do anything.

mom assuming that I need to replace the choc block on my new light to a 4 way block but could anyone let me know where they go?

thank you!!

Attachments

• B98FE180-2CF7-42B4-A381-1009FBDBD083.jpeg
    B98FE180-2CF7-42B4-A381-1009FBDBD083.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 96
  • C8B9AA0A-89DD-4514-B822-6B3D7EF2FE95.jpeg
    C8B9AA0A-89DD-4514-B822-6B3D7EF2FE95.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 94
Sponsored Links
In your current rose ,not counting the earth terminal ,you have three sets of terminal blocks. From left to right in your pic ... Neutrals ,lives,and far right is the switched live. The switched live goes to your new lights live terminal,the neutrals to its Neutral terminal and earth's to its earth terminal. The three brown lives go together in a 4 th terminal that does not connect to the light fitting .

In your current rose ,not counting the earth terminal ,you have three sets of terminal blocks. From left to right in your pic ... Neutrals ,lives,and far right is the switched live. The switched live goes to your new lights live terminal,the neutrals to its Neutral terminal and earth's to its earth terminal. The three brown lives go together in a 4 th terminal that does not connect to the light fitting .
Thank you. So what is the light grey and the black cable for?

Sponsored Links
The light grey is in the same terminal block as two blues. They are all neutrals. The black is the switched live , and the three browns are all together in a terminal block and are all permanently live .

Thanks both. Would the current wiring have any
Probably the security camera.
yes, was just thinking that. Although the problem with my camera is I have to turn the lamp on manually using the app as the auto sensor doesn’t work but I have another camera exactly the same in the back garden which is linked to a standard 3 pin plug and the sensor works perfectly. Can you think of any reason why that would be?

Anyway, back to the light. The new light has the choc block with it but it’s only a 3 way version. I do also have a spare 2 way choc block, if I snap it in half can I just use that to put the spare brown wires in to “cap them off” so to speak?

Yes ,but will the light fittings connector block accommodate all the earth conductors and of course the three neutrals ? It looks as though it may only be big enough for one conductor in each of its terminals.

Last edited:
Anyway, back to the light. The new light has the choc block with it but it’s only a 3 way version. I do also have a spare 2 way choc block, if I snap it in half can I just use that to put the spare brown wires in to “cap them off” so to speak?

Yes, you must connect them together but not to anything else.

Security light might be wired wrongly, hence the black wire in switched live.
Does the security light work when this light on.

Yes ,but will the light fittings connector block accommodate all the earth conductors and of course the two neutrals ? It looks as though it may only be big enough for one conductor in each of its terminals.
Get some more connector blocks and cut off the one on the new light.

So, would this work.....,

Blue to 2 x blue and 1grey (twisted into same socket)
Brown to black
Earth to earth
Then twist the 3 brown together and cap off in new single choc block.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back