Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
Fair enough.

_97202001_washingmachinebeforeandafter.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40821915

Sponsored Links
I should have patented that idea!

Probably about 30 odd years ago when I was moving a washing machine I started moaning about the waste of a concrete block, adding to the weight in transit and hassle of loading into the house.

I thought that a water container that automatically filled when used for the first time, with a drain cock for house moves, was so logical.

I also thought of soap dispensers that you filled once a month that automatically added a dose before Bosch or whoever it is at the moment that is hailing this as an advance

Guess I am destined to be poor

Like the idea but can see some issues (that can be addressed)
1) Water in a tank tends to slosh so it will at the start take up some of the energy, but at the end keep sloshing returning some of the energy. Perhaps use baffles (like in sports cars) or Custard type material (non-Newtonian fluid). But this means a tank of water will not act like a lump of concrete.
2) Concrete mass will be easier to design to match the resonant frequencies of the washing machine than a water filled tank.
3) If (when) the tank fails and cracks (at the mounting points) who will be liable for 10yr old water flooding machine and kitchen.
4) When and by whom are tanks filled. Is this the liability of the: Distributor (meaning weight savings are not fully utilized), Shop (ie Currys), Installers (two people in van who want to be in and out as fast as possible), or Customer (some of who will forget).

So I like the idea for times when I lived in flat, but not sure if manufacturers will take it on.

sfk

Last edited:
because its not a single mass it wont act like a single mass
think off it as full off people the weight may be there but any input will be a chain reaction rather than a dead mass acting as one

Sponsored Links
Typical concrete block made mainly from iron which replaces sand in the mix is 9 kg that's two gallons there are two weights so 4 gallons the question is if there is room to fit 4 gallons of water? First washing machine we had was a Bendix with no weights, however it was bolted to the floor.

It is not simply weight either, if a weight comes lose it will without the auto cut off fitted today roam across the floor, the weight would need to be in a full metal container. I think it is some ones dream not a real option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back