Lighting a woodburner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lighting Woodburner

I've recently moved from a house with a Jotul woodburner which was easy to light using newspaper and kindling. The stove had a traditional grate with an ashtray underneath so to get the fire going I would open the ashtray door slightly which would produce a great draft.

My new build house has a Parkray Aspect 5 which is constructed very differently it has a solid floor and walls of firebrick (looks like chipboard) and a vent that is operated with a pull/push lever. Because there's no ashtray there's no way to temporarily increase the draft significantly when trying to light the fire.

The instructions for lighting seem counter intuitive - put two large logs on the bottom then two layers of fire lighters and kindling on top - light and shut the door with the vent open. I don't like fire lighters so have substituted them with paper but the wretched fire seldom lights first time. The Parkray website says to start with paper and kindling and add logs once it's got going but that method is no better.

It's suggested that warming the chimney with a large taper may help but i think you'd need a huge taper held for ages to be effective.

Any tips for lighting the fire would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You could use firelogs which are the easiest things to light and put kindling on top. They burn well and give off a good amount of heat. Some are in a wrapper which you just set fire to and it all burns. They are about the size of a brick but you could easily cut them into smaller pieces to make them last longer.

Top down burn is always advisable, kindling on top creates the required updraft to aid burn. I always use firefighters , paper produces too much light ash which can smother . Second photo just a few minutes later.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The old jotul sounds like a multifuel stove not a woodburner?
Normally a multifuel has a grate, and for burning wood it's best to block it or let the ash build up covering it.
A woodburner has a solid floor

The stove might have a "half latch" on the door catch to let in more air for lighting?

Also new build house - might be quite air tight? Try opening a door/window to help the fire draw?

I never use firelighters, paper/card and kindling (split as small as possible)

"Also new build house , - might be quite air tight? Try opening a door/window to help the fire draw?"

Hadn't spotted "new build", while mostly ok to fit a 5Kw WB without the the requirement for an external vent , fitting in new builds ,does to get certified .
To maintain the property airtightness and not to rob the stove of air while an extractor is running an air supply for the stove is usually done by a sealed tube from outside to the stove vent. havea look to see if there is a tube at the rear or under the stove .
Did you get a certificate when purchasing the property?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back