Lighting and sockets circuits

My house was pre-wired, so ceiling lights as normal 20220415_000328_1.jpg plugged into ceiling rose and worked with switch next to door, but this involved getting up to switch on the lights, so common for us to use the display cabinet lights 20220704_220311_1.jpg until we get up for some other reason. Yes can fit a smart wall switch, been there, done that, and had to walk outside to re-boot the switch when it stopped working, I like smart devices, but want ones which I can unplug.

We have used wall lights for years 1673970840494.png without any electric to them, one shown is Kerosene, there is nothing wrong with gas or oil lamps, and we never had them on a switch by the door, but things have moved on since then.

Sponsored Links
This is standard practice in some European countries I believe. One 1.5mm feed to all lighting and sockets in a room, with 16A MCB.

I can't imagine anyone has ever thought such a stupid thing would be done and therefore no one has ever bothered to make a ruling on the subject.
This is how it is done in other countries. You have the fuse box and one single cable into some room, right above the room's door - from there it feeds the lights and the sockets in that room. Also through a conduit so in theory you can rewire in the future...

If you had table lamps etc plugged into this cct that you propose
I mentioned desk/bedside/upright lamps as I am still not sure if I am allowed NOT to have a separate lighting circuit into each room.

(ii) facilitate safe inspection, testing and maintenance (see also Section 537)
How is that going to be possible if cables are under floorboards, under concrete etc?
I would say loosing lights as you plug some thing in is not the time you can cope with loss of lights.
That is an excellent point, I had not thought of. I know "you do not want to lose lights", hence in the past lights had no RCD.
So big question is why would you want to wire that way?
Academic now as we have passed separate cables to each room. The reason is obvious, one fuse at the fusebox, one wire to each room, one room for each fuse, very lean and simple. As it stands I had to pass a double wire for sockets and one single for lights, for each room, so a lot more cables and trouble.
The OP's proposal is to have a house with no lights - until someone plugs in some lamps.
No, my idea which we are discussing was to run lights and sockets in each room from one single wire.

Sponsored Links
This is how it is done in other countries. You have the fuse box and one single cable into some room, right above the room's door - from there it feeds the lights and the sockets in that room.
No, the OP was proposing having just sockets and no lights other than lamps plugged in to the sockets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back