Lighting circuit not earthed

R

RhysJames2008

Hi there,
I have recently redecorated a bedroom upstairs in my 1970's house. I am replacing all the light fittings, switches and sockets with chrome fittings but there is no earth on the lighting circuit throughout the house, so I cannot have chrome accessories.

My question is, what is the quickest, cheapest and easiest way I can get an earth on my lighting circuit? (Without having to bolster into a wall to lay cables in there).

Many thanks and best regards
Rhys

Sponsored Links
Re-wire, or Class 2 fittings. I'm afraid it really is that harsh, anyway I re-wire is probably overdue by now.

In a 70s house you may not have solid walls, if so you may not need a bolster to add a neutral.

Sponsored Links
In a 70s house you may not have solid walls, if so you may not need a bolster to add a neutral.
He's already got a neutral, he needs a cpc.
I am surprised that the installer failed to include an earth, only houses without a cpc that I have seen were wired in the 60's.
You may be lucky and could find the cables will pull the new ones in. remember to only pull cables up to prevent debris in the cavity jamming the cable.

I am surprised that the installer failed to include an earth, only houses without a cpc that I have seen were wired in the 60's..

Are you Sure that the earth is not simply cut back short for some reason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back