LED Failure on light fitting... advice please.

R

RhysJames2008

Hi all,
I bought a nice chrome light fitting a few months ago following a refurbishment of a bedroom. The light has 4 halogen bulbs and 8 LED's which arent replaceable.
I noticed today that the LED's have stopped working competely but the Halogens still work.

I was just wondering if anybody has ever had this problem before and if it can be solved easily.
Also, it isnt earthed although it is chrome, but a plastic light switch has been used for extra safety. (There is no earth on our lighting circuit.)

Thanks all for reading, I appreciate any replies here as this is surprisingly annoying.

Rhys

Here is a link to the same light which I bought: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...108.Lighting>C$cip=1500011111.Spot+lights.htm

Sponsored Links
That fitting should not be used on a lighting circuit that has no earth present.If it is double insulated, square within a square symbol present, it would be ok, but I doubt whether this is.
Take it down and replace with a standard pendant/battenholder or Class 2 fitting!

You shouldn't be using a metal fitting with no earth connection unless it's class II double insulated, which it almost certainly wont be. That, however, has no bearing on the problems with the LEDs.

Sadly, most of these fittings are poorly designed and manufactured.The LEDs are wired in series and as such, a single failure will bring down the whole lot. The LEDs will probably have been cheaply manufactured in China and prone to failure, and likely driven at their maximum design current to get some extra brightness.

Unless you have some experience with soldering and electronics then I'm afraid it's a new fitting, which isn't a bad idea considering you need to purchase something that doesn't require an earth.

Hi all,
I bought a nice chrome light fitting a few months agofollowing a refurbishment of a bedroom. The light has 4 halogen bulbs and 8 LED's which arent replaceable.
I noticed today that the LED's have stopped workingcompetely but the Halogens still work.
Take it back.

Ask for a refund, not replacement.

Sponsored Links
-sigh-
I hate this house, we can't have anything nice because it just wont work in this house. Can't have a nice light fitting or switch because theres no earth.
I might just take it down and buy a plastic one seeing as my light isnt functioning properly. I was aware that it needed an earth, but I spent so much time and money decorating the room that I didnt want a cheap nasty light fitting to ruin it. I figure if nobody would be poking around at the light it would be fine.

Thanks anyway for your help.
Rhys

guess it is a cheap and nasty light :cry:

if it helps i broought some led lights for the garden, contry of origin unknown, but they too have failed miserbaly. but i made my own from leds from maplins and one has been on 24/7 still going :LOL:

Take it back to argos for a refund.

Then put that money in here

piggybank.jpg

Well, thanks for all the help guys. Im just gonna stick to plastic, silver-sprayed tacky fittings for the time being. I heard getting it rewired is expensive and money at the moment wont permit that.
Also, thanks for sending the link to the review Tim, I know not to buy from Argos again.

Just out of interest, when did they start making it a requirement to have full earth throughout a new house?

Thanks
Rhys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back