Lighting circuit work notifiable or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just bought a 1960s house with no earth in the original lighting circuits. It had an extension put on in the 90s with earthed lighting circuits, and it appears a modern consumer unit was installed at the same time.

The missus wants metal light fittings/sockets etc throughout, and as we all know, she must be obeyed.

Looking at "The Law", a partial rewire is notifiable. Adding lighting points (fittings and switches) to an existing circuit is not.

So. May I (not able to self certify) connect into the earthed lighting circuit in the extension, and bring these circuits into the rest of the house without telling anybody about it? This would fall under adding lighting points to an existing circuit.

Assume I know how to design it, install it, test it.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
You will hear different opinions on whether you can do it as part of the "replacing a damaged cable" exemption. Many people say cables get accidentally damaged during an inspection or installing a new light fitting.

You are allowed to add an extra lamp or switch without notifying, and to change fittings.

My opinion is that lots of people will do it without notifying, and the Part P police are unlikely to raid your house to find out. Of all the DIY jobs we hear about this is not the worst.

However, if you are paying a professional to do it, I would not approve of using one who is not a member of a self certification scheme and who will not carry out the right tests and provide you with documentation.

Thanks for the reply.

The old cable is probably legitimately knacked, the insulation is heat damaged in every light fitting I've looked at. Problem is, I don't want to replace the existing cable as it's the old single core stuff and all over the place. In the attic, it's run in places it wouldn't be considered good form to run now (like where we put our feet when up there storing the junk the mrs has accumulated over the years).

So needs redoing properly. Think the way to approach it is the adding light fittings and switches to an existing circuit; exemption. Every time a room gets decorated, the light fittings and switches gets added to the existing earthed lighting circuits that was put in the extension.

Cheers

However, if you are paying a professional to do it, I would not approve of using one who is not a member of a self certification scheme and who will not carry out the right tests and provide you with documentation.

John, there are thousands of C&G qualified time-served electricians who have not registered with the Part-P schemes (for whatever reason).

There are also thousands of people in the domestic field who have 5 (or maybe 10 days training).

Nobody is obliged within the legal framework to choose either option - and some may even opt for DIY. The choice lies with the consumer.

Sponsored Links
yes, but...

choosing between a handyman who's not a member, and a pro electrician who is...

who would I give my money to?

To rewire a lighting circuit the BCO route is unlikely to be good value.

Take a look at additional note b to table 1 in part P. This will not be adding "new" cables, it will be replacing existing cables which are dangerous.

Basically Part P of the building reg's allows you to replace a damaged cable in a circuit (like for like and following the same route).

To me this means that you shouldn't replace the whole of the circuit without firstly notifying, but you're going to anyway.

Basically Part P of the building reg's allows you to replace a damaged cable in a circuit (like for like and following the same route).

To me this means that you shouldn't replace the whole of the circuit without firstly notifying, but you're going to anyway.

I agree, and no I'm not :)

Glad to hear that, it's just that alot of people who ask that type of question are after a work around to the reg's / law and have no intention of complying..

Noz

Thanks for that link - got some good lighting on there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back