lighting circuit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

i need to get several lights working off the same switch.
and i need to do this with several sets of lights.
i guess each set need to be wired in paralel.
do i need a separate circuit for each set?
i just need to get the cable in now, before putting the plasterboard up, so i don't really need details of connections - i might leave that to someone more experienced!

Thanks,
Mark.

Sponsored Links
Are these mains lights or 12V halogens?

How many are involved?

What wattage are they?

How far apart are they?

Are you just having 1-way switching, or 2-/3-way?

Are there any lights there at the moment?

Q for others here - how happy would you be to connect up someone elses concealed first-fix?

Mains downlighters,
10 in total
50w
about 1.5m apart
just one way switching
no lights at the moment - it's a new building
I know what you mean about connecting someone else first fix but that's why i want to be 100% sure. also everything will be labeled.

Just remember that if you're planning on dimming these 10 x 50watt mains downlighters, that the suggestion is to go for a 1000w rated dimmer.

I ran into trouble with this on my install and found out that 2 gang dimmers for even 5x50w mains halogens were hard to find, and fairly chunky. The single gang should be easier to find though I suppose.

From what you're saying it sounds like all you need to do is wire in parallel, it really depends on the layout of the space you're wiring in though. Ceiling structure can sometimes dictate a wiring path.

In my kitchen, where I did put in mains downlights, I ran in parallel from fixture to fixture using 1.5mm wire and used a plastic choc box and terminals inside to distro the feed to the light in question and the feed to the next one down the line. Making sure that the connections were kept well away from the light fittings.

Before you run wire, make sure you're happy with 10 lights on a single point switch though. I'd give some thought to whether or not you might ever want to have less than all 10 on at once. Just a thought.

I would recommend keeping any connection or distribution points accessable for the "someone more experienced" to examine or work on. It takes a lot of trust to check off on something you can't see...or rather, not many would trust what they can't see.

Sponsored Links
Ban

As opposed to series!!!

Breeze

I meant LV as in 240 not SELV!!!

I see what you mean about most circuits (bar Christmas lights :) )being in parallel, however I thought it might have been a little confusing to say "a series of parallel connections".

What would be the preferred phrase to describe it? I guess the old tried and tested "daisy chain them together" could be used. I dunno.

i think he said he wired 2 500W floods in series to give a dim and even spread

i can't see any problem with doing this

they would be running at 125W each so you probablly could see ok

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back