Lighting Circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to install six 240v downlights all switched from one light switch. I am a little bit lost at the moment. How do I wire this??? any advice in plain English appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Okay imagine these lamps as your downlights and cable colours are red=brown and black=blue and green/yellow=green/yellow for new cable colours

So you just add to this, as you have the second light to first.

Then it would depend on how your existing lighting circuit is configured normally like this:

So you may have to fit a accessible junction to replicate the ceiling rose.

It maybe that your downlight terminals do not have room for two cables then you would require something like this: suitable for downlight

Once you have taken the above in, you will require to use a cable that can handle the current being drawn under load, normally 1.00mm T&E is suitable for a circuit being protected by a 6A breaker.
The instruction may suggest omitting the CPC/earth cable at the fitting, this does not mean omit it completely, keep it continuous around the circuit even if not connected to light.
Certain techniques must be conformed to when routing cable such as safe zones, chase depths and holing of joists.
Also requirement for RCD protection must be researched.
Also inspection and testing required for minor works.

Sponsored Links
I seriously doubt the origianl reply was in plain enough English for the OP, which is a good job I think!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back