Lighting Fault after Water Leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I hope someone can help me.

My plumber caused a leak in my bathroom when he was re-configuring the pipes in my bathroom and it came through the ceiling of the kitchen below. The light stopped working. The plumber notified me that the kitchen light had stopped working and offered to pay for bulbs, new light (it was a spotlight with a little transformer in it), painting etc - whatever was required. I tried new bulbs and as these didn't work assumed it was probably the light unit so I replaced it. At first it didn't work but then it did so I assumed something had dried out and all was ok. However, it now has stopped working but doesn't trip the fuse box - as has the dining room light which is the next door room and will probably share some of the same lighting circuit.

Doing a bit of investigation there are 3 no. junction boxes directly below where the leak was (under the bathroom floor). I've openend them up (all electrics off) but can't see anything obviously wrong. Whilst I'm sure the plumber would pay for an electrician to sort it out I would rather sort it out myself if it is something simple.

Cheers if you can offer any advice.

Chris

Sponsored Links
without being there to see it it's almost impossible to tell you what's wrong, but I'd check for loose connections in the light you replaced....

While you've got the floor up in the bathroom get rid of all those nasty hidden JBs.

Sponsored Links
If you've a kitchen fan (the fuse/switch might be high on the wall) I'd check that too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back