Water and lights !!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'll try and keep this to the point.

I had a leaking bath and some water (relativly small amount) got to the spot lights in my dining room. A few drops dripped down from one of the lights.

I've fixed the leak so no more water and the lights were fine . . . . for a while. A few days later they flickerd a bit so turned them off. Since then 5 of the 6 spotlights have gone out with one remaining on.

I've checked the transformers and all have their own one, I've checked the bulbs and all still work. Actually after checking the bulbs all 6 lights worked again but only for a short while before 5 turned off again.

Any clues ?

Much appreciated

Sponsored Links
LV luminaires require a good connection onto the lamp because of the high currents. You may find the water has corroded the lamp holders which is why they worked when you re-seated the lamps but don't now.

You can get replacements but sometimes they can be a bugger to fit.

Thanks for the reply Pensdown.

I'm not sure if corrosion has had time to set in yet to be honest? Week max since the leak.

so.?

you have not checked have you?

I have seen coroosion happen on a "live" alarm that happend in less than 45 minutes

Sponsored Links
No I have not checked but will do.

Since my original post the set of 6 spot lights were working, then 5 off for about an hour and now 6 back on :confused:

Next stop, corrosion check.

How many mains cables are there at each transformer?

I suspect it may be that the problem is on the mains side of the transformer.

Thanks for the response so far guys, really appreciate it.

Ok I have checked for corrosion and can't see any obvious signs. To answer RF lighting's question each transformer has the black and red cable in one end and the blue and brown at the other. The earth has just been folded back.

The big :?: is the water only got to one light out of the 6 and yet 5 have flickered off and one had always been ok? To add to the confusion this happend only occasionally in the first few days after the leak, then we had 48 hours of just one light working and currently all 6 are back on. :confused:

dissconnect all of them at both ends.

the recoonect all of them at both ends

sounds a lot of grief but this way you see each cable asnd its condition.

it may also have got into the trasfromers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back