lighting has be be turned off with two breakers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all wonder if you can help. I looked at a lighting system today and when i went to turn off the supply to it via a 6a c.b it didnt turn off. I tried the next breaker in line and still didnt turn off. It was not until i turned off both breakers that the circuit went dead?? it seems to be connected to both breakers somehow. would this be because one of the wires in the circuit is cross connected to both up and downstairs lighting loops??

Sponsored Links
Hmm, very interesting.
Sounds like someone has interlinked the lives of the two circuits, somewhere.

That should make life interesting if the CU is later swopped out for a dual RCD (or all RCBO) jobby!

Sponsored Links
Hello all wonder if you can help. I looked at a lighting system today and when i went to turn off the supply to it via a 6a c.b it didnt turn off. I tried the next breaker in line and still didnt turn off. It was not until i turned off both breakers that the circuit went dead?? it seems to be connected to both breakers somehow. would this be because one of the wires in the circuit is cross connected to both up and downstairs lighting loops??
This wasn't a hall/landing double two way lighting switch was it? - Probably not describing it very well, but you can turn both the upstairs and downstairs lights from both the upstairs and downstairs switches.

I just had one of these today! It turned out to be an unnecessary live link in a 2 gang switch - this linked the 2 circuits.

Easy to find - 'end' tested to confirm that someone hadn't actually run the lighting circuit as a ring (doh). They hadn't as n-n not continuous. Popped each of the cables in the breaker separately to see which lights came on and then narrowed it down to the switch shared by both circuits.

Do I sound pleased with myself????

SB

yes, but rightly so..
some people aren't made with the kind of logical mind that it takes to track down curveball faults like this..

ooo, good job I don't go near too many of them, RF!

It's little problems like the above and solving them that make my day and keep work interesting I think. Sad, eh?

No it's the best bit of the job.

Really wierd faults are great to track down sus out and then repair.

I had a funny one today. Lights not working. Lovely MICCS install, but tenant taken down & disconnected all wall lights but one & they wouldn't work. Getting some very strange voltage readings from wall light positions.

Turned out the tenant had taken the conductors out of the multigang dimmer and replaced them in a random order......

The odd voltage readings were where one light was fed from the L1 of another dimmer, with both dimmers on less than full settings.

:rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back