Lighting in Bathroom for Shaving - Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Lovely website, first time here.

I need to have illumination to aid shaving, as the moment with downlights in the ceiling does not offer full illumination.

With an advice from a small electric shop, he suggested fitting a new downlight above the glass medicine cabinet, which is used for shaving.

However, I looked on the internet and many sites suggested that it would leave shadows, so would not have the desired effects. They suggested fitting two lamps beside the mirror. Fitting a new downlight in the ceiling would be a lot simpler than fitting two lights beside the glass cabinet, as there are no space available and not to mention cables running around, making it a mess.

Any advice please, confused at the moment.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Lights either side of the mirror would be best. Or one above the mirror. As a compromise a strip type light on the ceiling fitted in the right place will reflect from the mirror and illuminate your face. Don't use a downlight for this as it will create shadows because it is a point source of light.

It nearly Christmas grow a beard. I have never bothered with mirror for shaving. Trimming beard yes but not to shave. My point is it's personal and what is good enough for one may not be good enough for another.

There are heated mirrors complete with lights and shaver socket and only you can work out if worth the expense.

Lights either side of the mirror would be best. Or one above the mirror. As a compromise a strip type light on the ceiling fitted in the right place will reflect from the mirror and illuminate your face. Don't use a downlight for this as it will create shadows because it is a point source of light.

Thanks for the reply.

above the mirror or strip type light on the ceiling, can be looked at.
As I mentioned there is no space on either side the mirror cabinet, to fit two lights. From your experiance, which one would leave less mess in terms cables and easier to implement? If I had a chance I would post a photo.

Sponsored Links
It nearly Christmas grow a beard. I have never bothered with mirror for shaving. Trimming beard yes but not to shave. My point is it's personal and what is good enough for one may not be good enough for another.

There are heated mirrors complete with lights and shaver socket and only you can work out if worth the expense.

Thanks for the reply.

Growing a beard is not my style at the moment, also my teenage son shaves as well. Getting a new heated mirror is not practical at the moment. I should have thought about that, before I got the mirror cabinet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back